Chester Fritz Library Updates

News and notes from UND's Chester Fritz Library

Get to Know Your Reference Librarians: Holly Gabriel

Get to know your reference librarians: Holly GabrielYou might already recognize the reference librarians at the Chester Fritz Library: they are usually the the ones sitting behind the Ask a Librarian desk that sits straight ahead as you walk into the Library. If you want to know more about these helpful people, you’re in luck! We’re continuing the “Get to Know Your Reference Librarians” series, giving you the scoop on some interesting facts and stories from your favorite reference librarians.

Today, we’ll learn more about Holly Gabriel, the subject specialist for accounting, marketing, management, advertising, economics, finance, entrepreneurship, business, information systems and business education, computer science, technology, government documents, and sociology. To contact Holly or to learn more about her educational background, be sure to visit her profile page.

Where did you grow up? How did you make your way to the Grand Forks area?
I grew up in Mankato, Minnesota. When I was 12, my family moved to DeKalb, Illinois. I’ve also lived in Portland, Oregon. I moved to Grand Forks in 2004 when I was offered a job with the rural health department at the med school and I’m still here!

What is your favorite place to eat in the Grand Forks area and what do you usually order (or what would you recommend)?
Little Bangkok for the pad thai and sushi rolls.

What is your favorite spot in Chester Fritz Library?
I like the couch outside the big reading room (the fish bowl) next to the rack of current popular magazines. It is a good spot to browse the most recent popular magazines for fun.

Holly Gabriel
Holly Gabriel

Why did you decide to become a librarian?
I’ve always been interested in learning and teaching. When I was a kid, I wanted to be a news broadcaster so I would always know the latest news. I like helping people find reliable information so being a librarian is a good match for me.

What is the craziest or most interesting job you’ve ever had?
I worked as a family advocate for the Head Start program and the little kids said the funniest things–they made me laugh.

What strange skill do you have that many other people don’t?
Does binge watching Netflix count?

What skill or talent do you wish you had?
Vampire slayer.

What do you think your life’s theme song would be?
What a Wonderful World” by Louis Armstrong because I enjoy traveling.

What book do you think everyone should read?
To Kill a Mockingbird because it is a beautifully written book about courage.