Chester Fritz Library Updates

News and notes from UND's Chester Fritz Library

Spring Semester 2021 Library Services

The Chester Fritz Library staff have put together a helpful FAQ to answer some questions you might have about changes or adjustments to our services during the Spring 2021 semester: 

Do I have to wear a face covering or mask inside the library? 

Yes. UND requires the wearing of masks and face coverings in all buildings on campus. For more information on UND’s policies, check out UND’s COVID-19 blog. 

What hours are you open this semester? 

We are open 7:30 am to 10 pm Monday through Thursday. Fridays we are open 7:30 am to 5 pm. On Saturdays, we are open 1 pm to 5 pm and on Sundays, we are open 1 pm to 10 pm. Library hours can also be found here. 

How do I access library resources like databases and ebooks remotely?  

You can access most library resources through the library website. To learn more visit our Chester Fritz Library Research How-to guide.  

• Databases – use the Quick Links drop down or the Databases A-Z list. You will be prompted to log in (firstname.lastname and the password you use for Blackboard, etc.). If you are using a VPN, you may need to disconnect from the VPN so the database prompts you to login correctly 
  • eBooks – search the library homepage and limit the results by selecting Online Books under Item Types. Many eBooks vendors are currently offering unlimited access to their eBooks. Visit this eBook research guide for details. If you’re having trouble finding eBooks, just Ask Us! 

My books are past due. What should I do?  

What you can do: 

• Log into your account renew them online if you still want the items you’ve checked out. Verify that new due dates are showing. Otherwise, bring them into the library to be renewed for you.   
  • Interlibrary Loan items cannot be renewed online. Please use the contact information on the pink band that is wrapped around the book cover. 
  • You can drop your books off in the Book Drop (pictured below) outside the Chester Fritz Library. The book drop is on the northwest side of the Library, towards University Ave. 

If you have questions about your account, send them to: und.accessservices@library.und.edu 

Note: The location of the book drop might change due to construction so if you’re outside the library and don’t see it, Ask Us!  

How do I see what items I have checked out and the due dates?  

Click Logins in the top right corner and select Library Account from the menu. Logging in with your first.last will bring you into your library account. Want to renew items? Click on where you can extend the due date for your checked out items. For instructions on how to renew items, please see our Chester Fritz Library Research How-to guide.   

What if I still have an older fine on my record?  

These will not be removed, but there are no additional charges assessed to this through the library. Late payment fees will continue to accrue through Student Account Services, though. Access Services staff will go in at the beginning of each month to verify payments made over the course of the month and update records at that time.   

What if I need an electronic journal article but UND doesn’t have access to it?  

You can get access to electronic articles through our interlibrary loan (ILL) service! This is a free* service to get you the resources that you need, so don’t pay for articles on your own! If you have questions, you can contact the ILL departmentby email or send your subject librarian an email! 

One thing to note: You have to register for our ILL service first before you request anything! 

*For more information on ILL, see the ILL FAQ for details. 

How can I get help with my papers or research projects?  

There are a few ways to get help from a librarian or peer research consultant this semester: 

• Use our 24/7 chat to get help around the clock seven days a week  
  • Email your subject librarian to get help navigating databases and finding resources for your research. We can also “meet” with you online via Zoom to help however we can! 
  • Make an appointment through Starfish with a librarian or a Peer Research Consultant. To make an appointment, login to Starfish.

I’m a student in medicine/social work/nursing/law. How do I get help with my research?   

If you’re a student at the medical school, in nursing, or social work, you can get research assistance and find the resources you need on the SMHS Library website. If you’re a law school student, you can use the Thormodsgard Law Librarywebsite.   

How do I get help with research in Special Collections, Geology, Music or EERC?  

Staff in these areas are still answering research questions. Visit their webpages for contact details: Special CollectionsBranch Libraries: Geology, Music, EERC.  

Will the library still be hosting workshops? 

Yes! We’ll be hosting several virtual workshops this semester.  Check out our page on virtual library events here. 

I’m not a student or staff, but I’m a member of the Grand Forks community. Can I use the library? 

Members of the GF community are welcome to use the library to read or peruse our print collections. However, we are not issuing community passes to check out materials or use the computers at this time.

My question wasn’t answered. Now what?  

If you have any questions not answered with this FAQ, contact us at und.accessservices@library.und.edu  and include your student ID / EMPLID in the email.  

You can also Ask Us using our 24/7 chat service! Be sure to follow our social media accounts for updates on services and events! 

Instagram 

Facebook 

Twitter