CoBPA News

Learn more about how the UND Nistler College of Business & Public Administration (CoBPA) impacts North Dakota, the region, the country, and the globe as we accomplish our mission.

A Tribute to Tom DiLorenzo from the Nistler College

As the UND Nistler College of Business & Public Administration continues to reflect on this very tragic time with the recent passing of Former Provost Tom DiLorenzo we will continue to remember the dedication, the kindness, and the leadership that Provost DiLorenzo continually shared with the Nistler College, the University, and all that he interacted with.

Tom DiLorenzo was an avid supporter of the Nistler College. His leadership supported the College through national dean searches, advancement of faculty research, alumni outreach & engagement, and the successful launch and fundraising of a $70 million capital building campaign.

As our faculty & staff send our deepest condolences to the family and friends of Tom, we would like to share a few tributes of our admiration and respect for the leadership and kindness that Tom continually gave to the college.

“I’m not sure how common it is for an Assistant Professor to know the Provost (or have him know you), but Tom took the time to get to know me. Whenever he would see me he always asked how my research was going or complimented something I had done for the university. His kind and welcoming attitude were instrumental in making me feel at home at UND. I was shocked and saddened by the news of his tragic passing and keep his family in my thoughts,” says Assistant Professor of Marketing Dr. Jennifer Stoner.

“I am shocked and saddened by the senselessness of Tom’s passing. I would like to extend my deepest condolences to his family. Tom and I joined UND at the same time. In fact, we first met in the hallway to the orientation room where he took the time to ask me who I was and where I was coming from. Over the next seven years we have interacted many times across multiple events and initiatives. In every one of those instances, he has been similarly generous with his time, advice, and guidance. Tom was a big hearted leader doing a difficult job during challenging times. He was guided not by a desire for popularity, but instead sought paths that brought the best outcomes for the community. I will remember him for his kindness, generosity, patience, and fair-mindedness,” says Dr. Chih Ming Tan, Professor of Economics and Associate Dean of Research.

“I had an opportunity to work closely with Provost DiLorenzo on multiple projects for the University and found him to be earnestly engaged in seeking out ways to better manage higher education for the benefit of all, students, faculty, and administrators,” says Dr. David Flynn, Professor of Economics.

“Tom was a helping leader who assisted two CoBPA search committees successfully hire its first female Deans. These leaders have assisted the Nistler College increase diversity and proceed forward with many initiatives. Tom was a caring man who will be missed by many,” says Michelle Garske, Assistant Dean of Graduate Programs.

“Tom touched so many lives. It is hard to find the words to truly capture the depth of this tragedy.  He supported all staff, faculty, and students in our college. Personally, he supported me as a new Dean and his mentorship and friendship will continue with me throughout my life. I will strive to exhibit the grace and compassion that he showed as a leader. I can’t begin to express the sadness I feel for this tragic loss, and my thoughts are with his wife Suzanne, his children, and grandchild.  He was so very proud of each of them. I will forever be grateful for the time I was able to spend with Tom and learn from not only the expertise and leadership he portrayed in higher education, but the continual kindness and commitment he put forth to all that he encountered,” says Dean Amy B. Henley.

From all us at the Nistler College of Business & Public Administration, we will continue to remember Tom for his devoted work to the University of North Dakota, continuous support of the Nistler College, and his always present kindness and compassion for all. Our deepest condolences to all of his beloved family and friends during this tragic time.

Tom’s family asks that in lieu of flowers, memorial contributions be made to the College of Charleston Cougar Pantry, the UAB Blazer Kitchen and the UND Food for Thought Pantry. A memorial message may be sent to the family by visiting our website at www.jhenrystuhr.com.