The official first day of summer wasn’t a week old before the back-to-school supplies started hitting the store shelves in late June. (Insert grumpy face here.)
Not ready? No worries. Unless your son or daughter is real particular about getting the neon-green, fuzzy, zippered pencil keeper, they still have some time to prepare. And the University of North Dakota is going to be right there with you to ease everyone through the transition.
We have a whole Welcome Weekend to help you say “goodbye high school, hello college campus life!” The special weekend Aug. 24-25 will include activities for both family and students, who will learn all sorts of important info about classes, faculty and the campus.
Freshmen will meet new friends and get the chance to ask current students all the questions they want. Plus, you all can take some time to get to know the Grand Forks community. Here’s a sneak peek at just some of the activities:
- 7:30 a.m. Saturday: The Welcome Weekend office opens in Wilkerson Commons. Stop by to ask questions and pick up your schedule.
- 8 a.m. Saturday: Students get ready to get settled in their new home sweet home. Residence halls are open for move-in. You can check in at your assigned hall. “Stop, Drop and Go” sites will be open from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. where volunteers will help carry your items to your room.
- 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Saturday: Brunch is served in the Wilkerson Commons Dining Center. UND students use their meal plan. Family members and guests pay $7 at the door.
- 3 to 5 p.m. Saturday: Parent Orientation in Chester Fritz Auditorium.
- 4:30 to 7 p.m. Saturday: Free Sub Sandwich Feed in Wilkerson.
- 6 p.m. Saturday: Students in the Class of 2023 meet in Memorial Stadium for a giant class pic and pep rally. (You get a free T-shirt, too!)
- 8 to 11 p.m. Saturday: Parent reception and Q&A in Gorecki Alumni Center.
- 8 to 11 p.m. Saturday: Rock wall climbing, dodgeball, volleyball, yoga (in case you want to slow down and breathe), Escape Room and a ton more in UND’s Wellness Center.
Sunday packs in another full day of tours, info sessions, organization fairs, a steak feed, a mentalist entertainer and live band. And the special activities continue throughout the week for students.
By the time classes begin, students will be comfortable and ready. So, relax and enjoy your summer! We’ll see you soon.