Winter holidays are just around the corner, and this year will be different than it has been in the past. Here are some things you should consider before you make your holiday plans.
Lay Low Before You Go
- Plan to stay home and interact only with the people you live with for 14 days before you travel.
- Get tested for COVID-19 approximately 3 to 4 days before you travel.
- If you have been exposed to COVID-19 and don’t know it, this will help ensure that you don’t spread it during your travels and to your loved ones when you visit.
Slow the Spread
- Let anyone with COVID-19 symptoms (cough, fever, shortness of breath, etc.) or who has been exposed to COVID-19 in the last 14 days know that they should not attend a holiday gathering – no matter what.
- Keep the gathering small – the fewer, the better.
- Write down the guest list in case someone tests positive afterward.
- Arrange your furniture so it is easy for people to stay 6 feet apart.
- Wear face coverings when not eating or drinking.
- Remember that having or attending in-person gatherings may encourage people in high-risk groups (i.e., older adults and people with underlying health conditions) or ill individuals to attend rather than stay home. Let them know it’s “ok” to stay home and consider how you can include them virtually and/or have a special meal delivered to their home.
- Get tested for COVID-19 as soon as possible after returning to UND.
We wish you a safe and healthy holiday season.