Congratulations INMED MD class of 2022

The INMED medical school class of 2022 had a successful Match Day on March 18 when they learned which residency program they will attend to complete their advanced medical training. All six of the graduating INMED students matched into their chosen specialty and most to their first-choice program.

“University of Washington was my first choice, and I am so thankful because I will be closer to friends and family,” said Celeste Colegrove. “INMED played such a large role in this for me, and I will be forever grateful.”

Emily Falcon, who is from Belcourt, ND, said she was “ecstatic” to have matched at the University of North Dakota School of Medicine in Minot, ND. “I am able to stay in North Dakota and finish my residency close to home, which is important to me,” she said. “And I feel more than prepared to start residency in July which can be attributed to the training I received from UND.”

Each year, many INMED students choose primary care specialties with a mission of serving their tribal communities. This year was no different, with half of the INMED students matching in Family Medicine and Obstetrics-Gynecology. Another popular specialty choice this year was Psychiatry. This is important given the unmet substance abuse and mental health issues in communities across the country which have been exacerbated by the pandemic.

“I’m blessed to say I matched psychiatry at my top choice, the University of Oklahoma in Oklahoma City,” Abby Jessell said. “I’m originally from Stillwater, Oklahoma, and came to UND for medical school through the INMED Program.”

Here’s where the INMED students are headed this July:

Celeste Colegrove, Obstetrics-Gynecology, University of Washington, Seattle

Marcus Cooley, Anesthesiology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee

Mariah Cooper, Psychiatry, University of Wisconsin, Madison

Emily Falcon, Family Medicine, University of North Dakota School of Medicine, Minot

Abby Jessell, Psychiatry, University of Oklahoma College of Medicine, Oklahoma City

Eric Leveille, Family Medicine, Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education, Rochester

The Class of 2022 graduates join the 260 American Indian and Alaska Native physicians who have been supported by the INMED program since its start in 1973. According to data from the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC), the SMHS ranks in the 100th percentile—higher than any other school in the database—for the fraction of its graduating medical student class to identify as American Indian.

Congratulations to all our INMED graduates!

pictured:  Abby Jessell, Celeste Colegrove, Mariah Star Cooper