Grant McGimpsey says farewell

June 30 is my last official day at the University of North Dakota. Since stepping down as Vice President for Research and Graduate School Dean in December, I have continued to work on a number of priorities for the University, but this too has come to a close. I would like to thank UND faculty and staff collectively for all of the work that you have done and continue to do to help drive the research mission of the University and to grow the quality of our graduate educational offerings. I would also like to thank those of you with whom I have worked closely over the last four years – too many to mention by name. I am so grateful for your dedication and commitment, your warmth and friendship, and your tremendous support. It has been an honor to work with you at UND.

When I came to North Dakota, Grand Forks and UND in 2015, I did not know much about the area or institution. Yes, being from Canada, I did know about the hockey program and about UND’s many NHL alumni. (I would like to point out that my first year at UND was also the first time in 16 years that we won the NCAA championship. I will let you draw your own conclusions about whether or not this is a coincidence!)

Over my four years with UND, I learned so much. Being from Southern Ontario and having spent many years in New England, the Prairie was a huge revelation for me – so different and so beautiful. Grand Forks is hands down the best managed city and most user-friendly city I have ever lived in – Canada or the US. And UND is truly a remarkable institution. Its role in the state is both critical and irreplaceable. UND does so much for so many, and with great efficiency.

Even though June 30 is my last day, I hope to be able to continue helping where I can. Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you feel I can make a contribution.

Best regards,

Grant McGimpsey