Interim President Wynne: We are headed in the right direction

Hello! I would like to take this time to provide you with a brief update on my new position as Interim President of the University of North Dakota.

Monday was my first day on the job as Interim President, a role I accepted in addition to continuing as vice president for Health Affairs and dean of the School of Medicine & Health Sciences (SMHS).

As you might imagine, I’ve already been in touch with various people representing a variety of constituencies, both within UND and in the larger non-UND community, for their thoughts, insights, and suggestions.

One thing that is clear from these discussions, so far, is the general consensus that we are headed in the right direction with our OneUND strategic plan. I plan to continue to expand those conversations over the next few weeks, and unless there is substantive feedback that would suggest otherwise, it is my intention to continue the implementation of the plan. It already is showing positive results, such as the recent improvement in undergraduate retention and graduation rates. And we plan to do even better!

On a practical and operational level, it is my intention to spend most mornings in the Office of the President in Twamley Hall and afternoons in my SMHS office. As you may know, I practice cardiology at Sanford Health in Fargo, and have reduced my scheduled clinical activities. Susan, my wife, also a cardiologist at Sanford, is adjusting her work schedule to spend more time in Grand Forks rather than in Fargo. These changes will free up some time so I can do all three jobs (president, vice president for Health Affairs and dean).

I embrace my new interim role and am eager to work even more closely with all of our students, staff faculty and other friends of UND. I also plan to provide you with more updates, in this space and others, on ways we can continue to work together to sustain our trajectory of success.

Sincerely,

Dr. Joshua Wynne
Interim President, University of North Dakota

— Dr. Joshua Wynne, Interim President