Hawk Life with Laurie–October 10, 2016

Homecoming Week—The Tradition Continues

hc_logo2016-email2

This week we celebrate our 100th Homecoming here at UND.  It is our opportunity to celebrate our UND spirit and to reflect on the last 100 years. Many of you know that I am a Grand Forks native and as the air is getting cooler, the leaves are changing colors and our campus is alive with homecoming activity I feel such pride to call this my home.  We will have a lot of visitors in town and on campus this week as people “come home” to celebrate our UND pride.  Our Student Ambassadors in collaboration with the UND Alumni Association and Foundation have coordinated a variety of events and the entire schedule can be found here:  http://und.edu/homecoming.  I encourage all of you to attend as many events as possible and to wear your green and pink proudly all week long!

To kick off our special Homecoming week we have a very significant and historical event in UND history—the Inauguration of our 12th president, Mark R. Kennedy.  This event is a momentous occasion and I hope that you will make plans to attend and welcome Mark & Debbie into our UND family.  The Inauguration is today, October 10th at 2pm at the Chester Fritz Auditorium and will be followed by a reception at the Gorecki Alumni Center.  Please join in the pomp, circumstance, and tradition of welcoming our new president to UND!

I would also like to make you aware of a publication that UND’s Marketing and Public Affairs staff will be rolling out shortly.  It is called UND Today and it will highlight key focus areas such as research, faculty voice, and campus life to name a few. This publication will be a “go-to” for community members, students, faculty and staff to learn more about what is happening around campus and in our community.  It is part of the effort to be transparent and keep our UND family abreast of happenings in and around UND and Grand Forks.  Be on the lookout for the first issue tomorrow, October 11th.

We have been met with some very difficult issues already this fall.  It is apparent that we have some work to do to educate our students, faculty, staff, and community on some very important and diverse topics. I believe we are making progress and I have faith in our student leadership as well as our UND faculty and staff that we will come together to move forward with that education.  President Kennedy has received positive feedback about the messaging that we have been communicating to our parents and students.  They are feeling informed and included.  We have staff from our Division to thank for those efforts.  Things like these take time, take us away from our daily routine, and often require working extra hours not to mention how emotionally taxing they can be.  I’m appreciative of our dedicated staff who coordinate these efforts seamlessly.  As Student Affairs professionals we are passionate, hard-working, and incredibly dedicated and I am grateful to be on this journey with you.  Now, for a few superhero staff members who know a little something about the “blood, sweat, and tears” that go into our daily work!

Let’s go Fighting Hawks and Happy Homecoming!

–Laurie

spotlightright