Hawk Life with Laurie–May 8, 2017

Endings and beginnings

It is that time of the year when we shift our focus to the natural cycle and rhythm of closing up another semester on campus. We are bidding students and employees farewell and good luck. For some of us, we are leaving behind colleagues and work that have had great meaning and impact on our lives. As of May 15th, 2017, I too, will be transitioning to a new role as senior advisor to the president until I retire on October 31st, 2017.

This year on my blog, Hawk Life with Laurie, we highlighted Everyday Superheroes.  My only regret is that there simply are not enough days in the year to recognize all of the superhero staff members in our Division.  I believe every one of us shows up on a daily basis wanting to be an everyday superhero to someone. I know my life has been profoundly impacted by the lessons I have learned from my friends and colleagues in Student Affairs. During this time, I gained a new perspective on the importance of the work in this Division. Whether it be phone calls from parents or visits with students, I heard time after time about the extra effort that our Student Affairs staff have extended that made all the difference in the UND experiences of these parents and students.

I’ve also gained an immense appreciation and admiration for the hard work that administrators embrace on a daily, nightly, and often weekend basis.  I am excited for the Division as Cara steps into her new role as Interim Vice President for Student Affairs and Diversity.  She has the knowledge and more importantly, the passion for this work, which will propel the institution forward.  I am leaving her in the capable hands of Rachel Osowski and Lynette Geatz, two of the most professional and driven women I have ever had the pleasure to work with.

In closing, I leave you with this quote which sums up my perspective on life:

20 years from now, you’ll be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.

Explore. Dream. Discover. — Mark Twain

sail

spotlightright