University Letter

UND's faculty and staff newsletter

I-9 process will change Nov. 1

Changes to the I-9 process start Nov. 1. Please see below.

We will revert to using Paper I-9’s. If unsure whether the employee needs to complete an I-9 call Human Resources (777.4890). If a new I-9 is needed, the department should submit the new online I-9 request form to Human Resources. Direct the new employee to Human Resources (Twamley Hall Room 312) or the department’s E-Verify site immediately with their original unexpired documents.

• E-verify sites that are using the online process and feel that it is working well can continue with the online I-9’s if they prefer. E-verify sites do NOT need to fill out the online I-9 request form (except for international employees) if they choose to revert to paper I-9’s or if they continue with online I-9s.
  • Once the I-9 is complete, Human Resources will send an email to the Department Hire Initiator with the I-9 completion date and the earliest estimated start date possible for the employee.
  • When the department hire initiator receives the email, the hire can then be entered in MSS. The hire date entered into MSS should be the date listed in the email or later. No prior date may be used. This email is to be attached to the hire, and in the comments enter I-9 and the date completed. Please note you will still need to enter the hire a minimum of four business days prior to the start date.
  • The employee will complete Section 1 of the I-9 again in Step 2 but they will not need to come back to Human Resources.
  • Department hire initiators will continue to be asked to watch hires to make sure new employees are completing all required steps.
  • The process for additional items such as benefit enrollment will remain the same.

Guidance regarding I-9 Request form

The department hire initiator should submit the online I-9 request form.

Human Resources will send an email to the department hire initiator with the I-9 completion date and the earliest estimated start date possible for the employee. (the start date will usually be four days from the date the I-9 is completed if the hire is entered the same day).

The hire can be entered into the system as soon as the department hire initiator receives the email from Human Resources.

The I-9 request form can be found at http://und.edu/finance-operations/human-resources-payroll/human-resources/i-9-request-form.cfm.