UND’s 2018 Founders Day banquet will be held Thursday, Feb. 22, in the Memorial Union Ballroom. A reception will begin at 5:15 p.m. with music provided by the UND Saxophone Quartet. The banquet will begin at 6 p.m.
This year’s Founders Day marks the 135th anniversary of the signing of the Dakota Territory legislation establishing the University of North Dakota in Grand Forks. It is the official birthday of UND! The first celebration of Founders Day was held in 1904.
In the UND Founders Day tradition, faculty and staff members retiring between July 1, 2017 and June 30, 2018 with at least 15 years of service, employees with 25-years of service to UND, and department and faculty award winners will be recognized during the banquet.
Tickets for the Founders Day banquet are only $25 each and must be purchased by noon on Friday, February 16th. Use the following link to purchase tickets: UND.edu/founders-day.
For table reservations for departments or colleges, contact the Chester Fritz Auditorium Box Office at 701.777.4090 or UND.edu/founders-day for a table reservation form. A table reservation form must be completed with names, menu choices, and method of payment specified before tickets can be purchased. Departments can request a check from their Alumni account and submit payment directly to the Chester Fritz Auditorium Box Office. The deadline for department table reservations in 12:00 noon on Friday, February 16.
Any other questions about Founders Day can be directed to Dawn Botsford at 701.777.6393.
Faculty and departmental awards
- The UND Foundation/McDermott Faculty Award for Individual Excellence in Teaching: Michael Flynn, Associate Professor of English
- The UND Foundation/Lydia and Arthur Saiki Faculty Award for Individual Excellence in Teaching: Wayne Seames, Professor of Chemical Engineering
- The UND Foundation/McDermott Faculty Award for Graduate or Professional Teaching Excellence: Sarah Nielsen, Associate Professor of Occupational Therapy
- The UND Foundation/Lydia and Arthur Saiki Faculty Achievement Award for Outstanding Faculty Development and Service: Crystal Alberts, Associate Professor of English
- The UND Foundation/McDermott Faculty Achievement Award for Excellence in Research: Colin Combs, Professor of Basic Sciences, School of Medicine and Health Sciences
- The UND Foundation/B.C. Gamble Faculty Award for Excellence in Teaching, Research or Creative Activity, and Service: Daphne Pedersen, Professor of Sociology
- The UND Award for Departmental Excellence in Teaching: Department of Aviation
- The UND Award for Departmental Excellence in Research: Department of Biomedical Sciences
- The UND Award for Departmental Excellence in Research: Department of Marketing
- The UND Award for Departmental Excellence in Service: School of Law