University Letter

UND's faculty and staff newsletter

Letter to the campus community

Dear UND Community Members,

The tragic news of Tom DiLorenzo’s death on Friday stunned our campus. It was senseless and inexplicable. Please keep his wife, Suzanne Austin, in your thoughts and prayers, along with Tom’s daughter, Kendall, his son, Nathan, and their families. We also share our grief with the campus community at the College of Charleston, where Suzanne serves as Provost.

We have received an outpouring of support from across the nation. From students to alumni and government leaders to captains of industry, it is clear Tom had a dramatic impact on so many. His commitment to building relationships and his keen vision for higher education impressed those with whom he worked.

When I began my transition to the UND Presidency in mid-January, Tom was one person who took it upon himself to take care of me. From visits across the campus, to friendly breakfasts between just the two of us, to meetings with alumni, he was the epitome of a professional. He thought of my needs above his own and made every effort to ensure I learned as much about UND as possible.

This was even more remarkable because as I was preparing to take over on June 1, he was set to begin his retirement on that same day. Tom worked tirelessly to the very end of his tenure. In fact, the final email I received from him was Friday, May 29, at 8:15 p.m., the evening before he was heading south to Birmingham to rejoin Suzanne at UAB.

Please join me in honoring Tom’s service to others and the preparation he gave our students to lead in society. In the days and weeks to come, the University will be working with Suzanne to determine how to best honor him. In the meantime, it is with respect and gratitude that we remember Tom DiLorenzo.

Andy Armacost
UND President