Hollywood to heartland and back again

UND alumnus from California says alma mater gave him the right stuff for his big break in movie industry

Tyler Kline
Tyler Kline says, at UND, he developed the knowledge and the confidence to graduate and return home to the Golden State to make it in the movie industry. Images courtesy of Tyler Kline.

University of North Dakota alum Tyler Kline traded the words “prepare for takeoff” for “lights, camera, action!”

Like many students who came to UND from far-flung parts of the world, Kline matriculated here because of the world-class aviation program.

A California kid, Kline came here to become a pilot. But after his freshman year and a change of heart, he found a new calling at UND in the College of Business and Public Administration.  It’s there where he says he developed the knowledge and the confidence to graduate and return home to the Golden State to make it in the movie industry.

Today, Kline, a 2015 UND graduate with a degree in business management, works as a production assistant for Paramount Pictures on a number of TV series and movies in the Los Angeles and San Francisco areas.  One project he’s involved with is a new Hulu Original series, titled Chance, starring Hugh Laurie of the medical show “House” fame and other Hollywood productions. He’s also working on another production for online television giant Netflix, titled “13 Reasons Why.”

Kline, 24, a native of Grass Valley, Calif., says there are even more projects in store for him later this year.

Like anyone who’s anyone in Tinsel Town, Kline has his own profile entry on the Internet Movie Database, better known as IMDB, where he gives prominent mention to his days at UND.

“I have been fortunate enough to work on some fun projects and meet exciting people,” Kline said.

Through it all, though, Kline can’t stop singing the praises of his alma mater.

“Even though I switched from aviation (initially), I wanted to stay at UND because I could tell it was a phenomenal university whose campus exuded the desire to bring each student to their full potential and allow them to get the most out of their college experience,” Kline said.

He went on to say that in his experiences at UND, his professors were always “welcoming to questions and gave me ample time, if needed, after class.”

Kline says his goal is to work is way up to become a first assistant director, and someday even direct his own films.

“I have many people who I owe so much for helping me in life,” he said, “but I truly thank the University of North Dakota for being a big step forward and giving me the confidence and knowledge to pursue my passions.”