Memories of Memorial Stadium, as told by UND fans, players and staff

In advance of today’s Recognition Event for Memorial Stadium, here are some memories of one of UND’s most venerable structures

UND archive photo.

Victory songs … defeat laments … pre-game talks in the locker room, some of them as memorable as Herb Brooks’ to the 1980 Olympians in “Miracle” (“You were born to be hockey players. You were meant to be here – TONIGHT!”).

Matched by cheers, sobs, laughter and likely more than a few marriage proposals, among the students and fans over the decades in the stands …

If a stadium’s walls could talk, they would have more to say than the walls that surround most spaces. And while we can’t tease those conversations out of the study walls of UND’s Memorial Stadium, here’s the next best thing.

Today at 3 p.m., UND will livestream a Recognition Event for Memorial Stadium, hosted by UND President Andrew Armacost, Alumni CEO DeAnna Carlson Zink,  UND Head Football Coach Kyle “Bubba” Schweigert and more. The live stream will delve into the stories and history of the nearly century-old structure, as well as the stadium’s significance to the University and the exciting vision for UND Athletics that soon will spring from its current location.

Stadium fans can watch the live stream on UND’s Facebook and Youtube accounts. The links will also be on the home page of UND.edu.

Meanwhile, here is a selection of Memories of Memorial Stadium, as emailed to UND Today and posted on UND’s Facebook page.  As you get ready to watch the live stream and learn what secrets the time capsule found in the stadium’s cornerstone may hold, enjoy!

Undated photo.

**********

In 1992, when I was a student working football, we were taping the football players and getting them ready to play, as a game was starting in about an hour. A very elderly gentleman walked into the athletic training room full of people, and it fell silent because clearly he was out of place.

Jim Rudd, the former Head Athletic Trainer, asked if he could help the man. The man stated, “Nope. Just looking around. I used to live in this room when I played here, and this building was a dormitory!”

Had a nice little discussion about things. Evidently the sink was in the same place, among other things. And then he politely left so the players could continue to get ready.

Steven Westereng, Chair, Assistant Professor, Department of Sports Medicine
UND School of Medicine and Health Sciences

*****

Having grown up across the street from UND on Princeton Street from 1939 to 1962, I have many memories of the Stadium.

1) Beginning in the late 1940s, I and my brother Gordon (three years younger) would trek over to the stadium on game nights. This was always without funds to pay for admission, of course. We would walk around to the east side of the playing field, and gain admission by climbing over one of the gates. This was before they began putting up bleachers on the east side. I can never remember having been apprehended and ejected.

2) The football games also could provide gainful employment. It was an easy matter to get hired to sell soda pop in the stands during the games. One would carry a heavy metal cooler by a strap around the neck, filled with bottles of Coke, etc., and ice water.

As I recall, the Coke sold for 10 cents a bottle, and the youthful vendors would be paid one cent for each bottle sold. I probably spent my profits later at the shop in the basement of Old Main.

3) Grand Forks photographer Clayton Ness used to put his 16mm movie camera in a backpack and climb up one of the telephone poles supporting the field lights and shoot movie footage of UND (and Grand Forks Central High School games).

While my earnings certainly did not pay my way through UND (class of 1961), they may have inspired my brother Gordon to go on to a football career at GF Central, where he was an All Conference Tackle on the Central team which lost only to St. Mary’s-Bismarck in the state championship game. Gordon went on to a brilliant career in the UND School of Engineering.

Steve Robinson GFC ’57, UND ’61

*****

Jim Kleinsasser, a Carrington, N.D., native, attended UND from 1995-98, leaving the school as one of the most decorated football student-athletes in history. UND archive photo.

Walking into Sioux vs. Bison games when it was below zero or worse, and hearing the “clank-clank-clank” of all the booze in everyone’s pockets.

Larry Pederson

*****

Some of the first dates my husband and I went on were to Sioux football games at Memorial Stadium. I will also never forget state high school track meets there, with team camps set up in the bleachers of the old Ralph.

Megan Kaufman

*****

My dad took my 9-year-old self in 1985 to UND vs. East Stroudsburg for my first-ever game. We have made a UND game every year since. Due to failing health, that streak stopped at the Potato Bowl game in 2019. That game and the 1993 Sioux-Bison game that broke the 12-year-old streak stand out in my mind. It will be sad to see the stadium go.

Darell Lembke

*****

Three memories: 1. Killer track workout with my teammates in the late ’90s. 2. We convinced one teammate that Memorial Stadium was haunted. She believed us for a long time! 3. Winter of 96/97, our coaches plowed a lane of the track so we could do workouts. There was so much snow that when Kim Olund Scheel was running on the far side, we couldn’t see her!

There are more memories in the stadium, but they are for the All American 4×400 relay team memory bank only!

Missy Berg Heilman

I also remember the one lane shoveled out. The bright red of the track against the white snow. Very memorable. Thanks, coaches Mike Grandall and Richard Clay!

Sara Glas-Olson

Missy Berg Heilman, yes! I totally recall all the work the coaches put in to clear that lane for us to practice! Also the dreaded 400 repeat workout there.

High school memories of the state meet held there, and the one year races were delayed for snow in late May!

Christy Rygh Reeb

UND archives

*****

Having marching band rehearsals there, playing the pep rallies for the freshman and the Potato Bowl/French fry feed

Megan Lynn Anderson

*****

I ran my first 400m individual there and had no idea how much it would hurt after

Scott Pede

*****

1978 Freshman Year, Potato Bowl, my 19th Birthday. There are no photos. Which might be a good thing

Tracey Thoen Hornung

*****

My parents and I would sit outside in the cold with a wool blankets and watch the Sioux. I disliked that very much, but what I wouldn’t give to do that again with them. Miss you Dave and Doreen Rubin – die-hard Sioux fans!

Jennifer Rubin

*****

I saw my first concert there! BTO with Head East and a couple of other regional bands. It was a beautiful Sunday afternoon in the early summer of 1976, I believe.

Matthew Baab

Cindy Klug, UND football administrative assistant for 24 years, shared this photo with the note, “You can’t think of Memorial Stadium and not have a picture of Dallas Kopp. He was the much loved equipment manager, a true legend!” Photo courtesy Cindy Klug.

*****

This place was where I made lifelong memories, learned life lessons and gained lifelong brothers.

For those of us who spent hours upon hours every week in this place, regardless of when you played, I know you can say the same. I will forever remember the smell, the love-hate, the sound of walking down the hall from the entrance, the moments before getting on the bus before a home game, the sound of Dallas yelling ‘dammer’ in the equipment room.

This place was ‘home’ for those of us who put on the uniform and yelled Hoka Hey.

Darren Douglas

Undated photo.

*****

Circa 1988: Behind by at least 35 meters when he received the baton, UND anchor Norm McGee (a five-time national champion and now UND Hall of Famer) ran a 45.0 (400 meter) split (some had him clocked under 45) to chase down Morningside’s anchor runner (who was the open 400 champ) to win the 4×400 relay at the NCC Championship meet. One of the most exciting races I have ever witnessed.

Richard Clay

*****

It was a great place to see a ballgame in the elements. A true UND advantage.

Tim Burrows

From Cindy Klug, longtime UND football administrative assistant: “We had Popsicle Day after practice. The coaching staff’s children handed out the popsicles to the players.” Photo courtesy Cindy Klug

*****

Fourth of July fireworks show, mid ’70s … we were sitting on the very top bleachers when tornado sirens went off, so my brother put me on his shoulders and ran down the bleachers (not the stairs) in the pouring rain. Totally freaked me out, but all ended fine.

Mary Ann Austin

*****

Watching Potato Bowl fireworks. We also held one of our yoga classes out on the field one hot, muggy morning (I think the AC had broken down in the Hyslop that day).

Naomi Adele Christensen

*****

I had a back injury that kept me out for the season, so I was the spotter for the PA announcer when Mike Mooney stole the ball from NDSU and won the Nickel back for us. It was a truly amazing play and atmosphere.

Mike Wangsness

*****

Ahh …94-98 late fall Cross Country workouts around the practicing football team, hoping to avoid a wide receiver inadvertently running onto the track. And Coach Lennon allowing us ladies to stay warm in a corner of heated tent for football players between 400-meter intervals.

Traci Kovar

Undated photo.

*****

Dad and Mom had season tickets from the 80s until they quit playing there. Playing football behind the goal post on the north end during games. Finally, playing a high school football game there (and winning in overtime) in the fall of 1988.

Christopher Kalash

*****

Bicentennial Celebration 1976

Kristen Mason Nelson

*****

UND vs. NDSU in the eighties and nineties there were epic!

Chad Love

*****

Oh my goodness, where do I begin! My memories begin in elementary school: watching my brothers at State Track Meets, then my turn on the track leading to Female State Athlete of the year my senior year, continuing as I watched my brothers play college football for UND, and then my turn on the track again as a member of UND track and field team!

Heidi Sequeira

Undated photo.

*****

So many great memories at Memorial Stadium! All my high school state track meets were there. Went to UND 1992-1996 and didn’t miss a single home football game. Lost a heartbreaker to the Bison my freshman year, but was there to see the losing streak finally come to an end in 1993, when Mooney stripped the ball and ran it into the end zone. Goal posts being torn down and paraded down the street was so fun to see!

Tanya Lunde Schaumann

*****

In ’97, my friend and I brought my Siberian Husky to the field when UND play St. Cloud. The husky had on a UND hockey jersey. We were quickly removed from the premises, even though they liked the idea. Still laugh about that!

Nicholas Welder

*****

Tail-Gating with moving trucks and used furniture … great memories.

Tim Ewing