Chester Fritz Library Updates

News and notes from UND's Chester Fritz Library

Updated: Library services during the COVID-19 situation

The Chester Fritz Library staff have put together a helpful FAQ to answer some questions you might have about our services this semester:


Do I have to wear a face covering or mask inside the library?

Yes. UND requires the wearing of masks and face coverings in all buildings on campus. For more information on UND’s policies, check out UND’s COVID-19 blog.


What hours are you open? 

We are open 7:30 am to 10 pm Monday through Friday. On Saturdays, we are open 1 pm to 5 pm and on Sundays, we’re open 1 pm to 10 pm. Library hours can also be found here.


I borrowed items from the library last semester. What should I do? 

All books that were due during the COVID quarantine in the 2020 spring semester, if not renewed, needed to be returned by Oct 1st 2020 to prevent being billed. If you have questions about your account, send them to:
What you can do:
  • Log into your account renew them online if you still want the items you’ve checked out
  • You can drop your books off in the Book Drop (pictured below) outside the Chester Fritz Library. The book drop is the north side of the Library on University Avenue.  



Note: The location of the book drop might change due to construction so if you’re outside the library and don’t see it, Ask Us! 


How do I see what items I have checked out and the due dates? 

Click Logins in the top right corner and select Library Account from the menu. Logging in with your first.last will bring you into your library account. Want to renew items? Click on where you can extend the due date for your checked out items. For instructions on how to renew items, please see our Chester Fritz Library Research How-to guide.  


What if I need a book? 

The library is open to check out library materials. Additionally, learn how to access one of our many eBooks from anywhere by checking out our eBook research guide!  


What if I need a journal article online but UND doesn’t have access? 

You can get access to electronic articles through our interlibrary loan (ILL) service! This is a free service to get you the resources that you need, so don’t pay for articles on your own! If you have questions, you can contact the ILL department by email or send your subject librarian an email!

One thing to note: You have to register for our ILL service first before you request anything!


What if I still have an older fine on my record? 

These will not be removed, but there is no additional charges assessed to this through the library. Late payment fees will continue to accrue through Student Account Services, though. Access Services staff will go in at the beginning of each month to verify payments made over the course of the month and update records at that time.  


How can I get research help from a librarian? 

There are a few ways to get help from a librarian this semester:

  • Use our 24/7 chat to get help around the clock seven days a week
  • Email your subject librarian to get help navigating databases and finding resources for your research. We can also “meet” with you online via Zoom to help however we can!
  • Call or email the reference department to get assistance from our librarians


How do I access library resources like articles and ebooks remotely? 

You can access most library resources through the library website. To learn more visit our Chester Fritz Library Research How-to guide. 

  • Databases – use the Quick Links drop down or the Databases A-Z list. You will be prompted to log in (firstname.lastname and the password you use for Blackboard, etc.). If you are using a VPN, you may need to disconnect from the VPN so the database prompts you to login correctly
  • eBooks – search the library homepage and limit the results by selecting Online Books under Item Types. Many eBooks vendors are currently offering unlimited access to their eBooks. Visit this eBook research guide for details. If you’re having trouble finding eBooks, just Ask Us!


I’m a student in medicine/social work/nursing/law. How do I get help with my research?  

If you’re a student at the medical school, in nursing, or social work, you can get research assistance and find the resources you need on the SMHS Library website. If you’re a law school student, you can use the Thormodsgard Law Library website.  


Can I still get help with research in Special Collections, Geology, Music or EERC? 

Staff in these areas are still answering research questions. Visit their webpages for contact details: Special Collections, Branch Libraries: Geology, Music, EERC. 


My question about library materials wasn’t answered. Now what? 

If you have any questions, contact us at  and include your student ID / EMPLID in the email. 


Have questions? Ask Us using our 24/7 chat service! We’ll also be updating the Chester Fritz Library homepage and Chester Fritz Library social media accounts regularly to keep the UND community informed about our services.