Chester Fritz Library Updates

News and notes from UND's Chester Fritz Library

Get to Know Your Reference Librarians: Brittany Fischer

In this latest installment of “Get to Know Your Reference Librarians,” we welcome our newest librarian to CFL: Brittany Fischer! To contact Brittany or access one of her libguides, please visit her profile page.

Where did you grow up? If not in Grand Forks or North Dakota, how did you make your way here?
I grew up in Sioux Falls, SD and lived in Brookings, SD for a little while. I moved up to Grand Forks after I finished library school and was offered my current position as the Social Sciences & Scholarly Communications Librarian at CFL.

What is your favorite place to eat in Grand Forks (or nearby) and what do you usually order (or what would you recommend)?
Probably King Pho – The eye of round or white meat chicken pho are two of my favorite go-to orders.

Why did you decide to become a librarian?
I decided to become a librarian because I have a passion for helping people and for finding information. Working in the library as an undergraduate student introduced me to different aspects of library work, and with the support of a wonderful supervisor, I pursued a career in libraries.

What is the most interesting job you’ve ever had?
I worked in a nursing home for about six years when I was in high school and through part of college. It was an interesting and rewarding experience.

What strange skill(s) do you have that many other people don’t?
Not sure if this counts but I played rugby for a little while when I was in college.

What skill or talent do you wish you had?
I am hoping to take up photography. I want to be able to travel and take neat pictures, but 2020 has not been the year for traveling.

What book do you think everyone should read and why?
Some of my favorite books:
Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine – Gail Honeyman
I read this book quite some time ago, but it particularly stood out to me and thought it was worthwhile.