Knowledge Commons Update
We are well into the Spring Semester, and the weather may finally be improving. We want to remind you that the public service staff at the Chester Fritz Library are here for your students, as well as anything we can help you with in your research efforts. We want to update you on the services we provide, now that the Library renovation is complete and COVID is still lingering. The next big thing we are looking forward to is the opening of the skywalk between the Library and the new Nistler College of Business and Public Administration next fall.
Getting Help at the Knowledge Commons
- What is it: The Library’s Information Desk is front and center at the top of the stairs – this is where you can get help navigating the building or campus, as well as checking out library materials. Our Reference librarians are close by in the consult room, ready to assist our undergraduate Peer Research Consultants (PRCs) and the Info desk students. PRCs are extensively trained by our librarians to assist undergraduates who are beginning their research. Upper level students and graduate students should contact their department’s subject librarian.
- Where is it: The Knowledge Commons is located between the stairs on the second floor of the Chester Fritz Library.
- When can I use it: The Info. Desk is staffed all hours the library is open. Help from Librarians and PRCs is available during daytime hours. Librarians are also available on email, via Starfish appointments, through 24/7 chat, and in person evenings from 7-9 and on Sunday afternoons.
- Who should use it: As the primary service point for all things CFL, everyone should use it – especially students getting started on research for papers and projects which need scholarly peer reviewed sources or who need help finding resources; faculty and staff with any questions about the Library and the resources it provides for your discipline.
- Why: To discover all the world of scholarly publishing and all the resources the Library provides access too, and how to best make use of these resources.
Our Partners at the Knowledge Commons:
We currently have Learning Services staffing a desk with an academic coach Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, 11:00 am – 3:00 pm, and Tuesdays & Thursdays, 3:00 pm – 7:00 pm. National Scholarship staffs a desk on Tuesdays 9-noon and Wednesdays 10-noon.
If your group is interested in staffing a desk to publicize a resource or offer a service, please contact Sally Dockter, Assistant Dean & Head of Public Services.
Other Partners in the building:
- University IT – for help with any computer and network issues
- Writing Center – 3rd floor, make appointments online
- AI/VR Lab – 3rd floor