Chester Fritz Library Updates

News and notes from UND's Chester Fritz Library

Who’s that CFL Staff Member?

This months staff member has a life goal to live in a fancy yurt in the woods. She is part of the Digital Initiatives, Systems, and Services department at CFL and is working towards her Masters in Space Studies. Any guesses who that CFL staff member is?

It’s Emily Wros!

Emily Wros looking off into the distance

This month, we are talking with Emily Wros the Systems Librarian.

Where did you go to school?

I got my library degree from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. It was a fun experience, but I really wish they’d come up with a shorter name.

What department or office do you work in at the Chester Fritz Library? Or what does a typical day for you look like at work?

Cleo the cat having a nap

I work in the Systems Office, where I do mysterious things with computers. I’m the person you talk to when you can’t log into your library account. Sometimes I put on workshops about software and technology.

What made you want to work at a library?

I became a librarian because I had been volunteering in libraries for about twenty years and one day it occurred to me that I could be getting paid. I volunteered for so long because I found the work to be relaxing and meditative, plus it was an easy way to be exposed to new ideas.

Emily Wros standing next to a small waterfall
Emily Wros standing next to North Dakota’s only registered waterfall

What is your favorite spot in (or around) the Chester Fritz Library?

The vending machines. What can I say, I love a snack.

What is the most interesting job you have ever had?

If we’re gauging “interesting” by stories I can tell at fun parties, I spent eight years working at a notorious bar in Minneapolis. Since those stories are a little spicy for a library blog, a close second was five years working the nightshift at a rural Walmart. Both involved surprise vomit, unfortunately.

While in school, did you have a favorite subject?

Lunchtime, especially on taco day. History was okay, too, I guess.

What book do you think everyone should read (or listen to) and why?

cover of Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian

The Jungle by Upton Sinclair, so I don’t have to keep arguing with hippies about how food regulation is good, actually. Non-hippies may read Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir instead, because it made me cry for a week and I feel the need to share that experience with everyone.

Who is your all-time favorite author? Why?

Patrick O’Brian, the author of the Master and Commander series. I admire his dedication to being a massive Age of Sail nerd.

We will be back next month with another mystery CFL Staff Member! Who would you like to see interviewed?