CoBPA News

Learn more about how the UND Nistler College of Business & Public Administration (CoBPA) impacts North Dakota, the region, the country, and the globe as we accomplish our mission.

A Look Inside at the Case Competiton Experience of this Senior

A Look Inside at the Case Competition Experience of Senior Bryce ZiemerHeadshot of Bryce

Tell us about yourself! I am a senior from Corcoran, MN. I am a double major in Operations and Supply Chain and Marketing. I chose UND because I really liked the student body and the community, and I also liked the size of campus. I was intrigued by the vast number of majors that were offered in the business school because I did not know exactly what I wanted to major in when I started freshman year.

Attending a case competition is a high impact learning experience. Describe your experience at the GM Supply Chain Competition. The coordinator of the event sent out the case to us 4 weeks before we had to arrive in Detroit. The case study this year went into detail about real-world problems that are facing the automotive industry every day. Our team (Mazie Mattson, Tracy McGowan, Trudy Schunk, and I) got together frequently to evaluate the different solutions to the case. With the questions being all qualitative our team knew we had to be creative but also realistic when thinking about solutions to the problems. When deciding what our solutions were going to be for the three problems that were provided in the case, we focused on what was a realistic solution to meet the supply chain disruptions. From years past we knew that the judges valued this when deciding which team, they wanted to advance to the final. Unfortunately, we did not make it to the finals in the competition, but we did receive a lot of positive feedback from the judges.

How has the Middleton School of Entrepreneurship & Management prepared and supported you to be a successful student both in and outside the classroom? The Middleton School of Entrepreneurship & Management faculty has been supportive every step of the way through my academic career. With their real-world experience they can bring to the classroom it provides us with knowledge that we are able to apply outside of the classroom. The school has also provided me with friendships and networking availability with other students who have similar goals as myself.

What are your future plans? After graduating in May I accepted a job as a Supply Chain Analyst for Daikin Applied.