UND Parent Facebook group and prepping for Welcome Weekend
Good news! The new UND Parent Facebook group is open. This is a great place for you to connect with other parents and even shoot a quick question to UND reps.
Also, the primary communication with UND parents role will be transitioning to Kristi Okerlund, Student Involvement & Parent Programs. So look forward to your first newsletter from her! But before she takes over, I have a few final reminders.
It’s getting close, parents, and college is just weeks away. That makes right now a good time to go over a few reminders with your students:
- Remember to view the packing guidelines. When your student starts packing, make sure they label all boxes, bags, totes and suitcases with their name and room number.
- If they have a roommate or suitemate, tell your student to connect with them and get to know them. Their roommate’s email address is listed in your student’s room assignment email and Campus Connection.
- If they bring a vehicle to stay on campus, they need to purchase a parking permit. Parking lots are assigned according to the residence hall in which they live. Permits are available for online purchase through Campus Connection.
- Look for their ID card (U Card) in the mail. They will use their U Card to enter their residence hall. Remind them to have it on them at all times so they can enter the building.
Sign-up for a move-in time
- All students will need to sign up for a move-in time to help the campus manage traffic and limit congestion.
- The sign-up form is now available.
- Students will check-in at the Wellness Center parking lot to receive their room key and further instructions about Stop, Drop & Go.
- Find move-in steps here.
- If you would like to skip the Stop, Drop & Go lines and help reduce congestion on opening weekend, we’re offering Drop & Dash a program. Students have the opportunity to drop belongings off early and return during Welcome Weekend.
- Drop & Dash is available from early August until August 19.
- Sign up for a Drop & Dash time.
Welcome Weekend move-in is Aug. 20. This is a great opportunity for your student to:
- Receive vital information about classes, faculty and campus.
- Meet and mingle with other new students at UND.
- Be able to ask questions of current students.
- Get acquainted with campus and the Greater Grand Forks community.
- Have fun! Welcome Weekend gives new students an informal but informative introduction to college life as well as the chance to meet new people and enjoy activities.
Other dates to remember
- Sept. 1: Last day to drop a course with a refund
- Sept. 7: Fall semester financial aid and scholarships will post
- Sept. 9: Student refunds begin
- Oct. 15: Fall charges due
Tips for you
We get it. It’s tough to leave your student in a new home to make brand-new friends and tackle college. These tips can help you support your student:
- We suggest you work as partners with your student, but let them begin to take responsibility and be the primary contact for issues that may arise.
- Deadlines are important for housing and academics. Check websites and encourage your student to stay organized.
- Ask your student how they’re getting involved in activities. Valuable “out of class” learning opportunities can be found all over UND, and they allow your student to meet peers as well as make connections with faculty, staff and administrators.
Show your support from afar Care Packages and Welcome Kits can help your student feel right at home. Choose from a wide variety of options that are delivered throughout the year. You can include a personalized message with words of encouragement or show them extra support during a challenging time of the semester.
We are excited to welcome students back to campus in the fall! We can’t wait to see everyone in person, online, hybrid or however they choose!
I hope you can enjoy some well-deserved down time and look forward to seeing you in the fall!
Director of University Admissions