Reminder: Process for hosting events at SMHS
As the pandemic continues, please consider the following reminder of the SMHS event procedure:
All events (non-curricular activities), as defined by the University of North Dakota (UND), held on-campus as well as virtually require approval. This includes all group activities, public lectures, symposia, workshops, trainings, conferences, concerts, orientations, internships/co-ops and other campus activities. Curricular events or activities must be approved through the standard curricular channel for a given program and then also reviewed by the appropriate associate dean (Senior Associate Dean for Medicine and Research or Associate Dean for Health Sciences) and the Dean if they will involve any issue related to COVID risk mitigation procedures and policies in place at the time of the event.
- Per UND policy, an Event Approval Form shall be completed for all in-person and virtual/remote events held in or on UND-owned property at least two weeks in advance of the activity date.
- In addition, all events sponsored by UND or UND-affiliated organizations held off-campus require UND approval.
- Participation by UND students, faculty and staff in non-UND events in their capacity as UND students, faculty, and staff requires supervisor approval and may or may not require additional approval for in-person participation depending on the travel restrictions in place at any given time.
- Step one: Review the Event Policy.
- Step two: Request approval from your supervisor for the event.
- Step three: Complete (but don’t yet submit) UND’s Event Approval Form.
- Step four: Seek approval from your respective associate dean.
- Step five:
– Option A: If your event is a virtual event, submit the completed Event Approval Form to the Office of Safety for final review and approval. No further action is needed.
– Option B: If your event is an in-person event and requires use of UND’s dining services and/or UND’s housing, submit UND’s Event Approval Form to the Office of Safety for a preliminary event review to ensure that UND has the appropriate resources necessary to accommodate the request for dining and housing. Submit the Office of Safety’s preliminary event approval, along with the Event Approval Form to Brian Schill (brian.schill@UND.edu) who will coordinate the review of the request through the School of Medicine and Health Sciences (SMHS) Executive Committee. Once the Executive Committee has reviewed and approved the request, you must resubmit the Event Approval Form, along with the endorsement of the Executive Committee, to UND’s Office of Safety for final review and adjudication.
– Option C: If your event is an in-person event and/or a hybrid event not requiring UND Housing or Dining, submit UND’s Event Approval Form to Brian Schill who will coordinate the review of the request through the SMHS’ Executive Committee. Once the Executive Committee has reviewed and approved the request, you must submit the Event Approval Form, along with the endorsement of the Executive Committee, to UND’s Office of Safety for final review and adjudication.