Surgery Chief Resident David Velez given David C. Leach Award by ACGME
Congratulations to Dr. David Velez, chief resident in the UND General Surgery Residency Program, who is one of five physicians from around the nation to have been given the David C. Leach Award from the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) for their contribution to graduate medical education. Dr. Velez received this award for a nonprofit educational program he developed.
As the ACGME website notes, the David C. Leach Award “recognizes residents and fellows who have fostered innovation and improvement in their programs, advanced humanism in medicine, and increased efficiency and emphasis on educational outcomes.” This year’s recipients are (listed alphabetically):
- Christina Baxter Vernace, D.O., University of Florida
- Abhiram M. Kondajji, D.O., M.S., Cleveland Clinic South Pointe Hospital
- Evelyn Obregon, M.D., University of Florida
- Manogjna R. Prasad, M.D., New York Medical College at Saint Michael’s Medical Center
- David R. Velez, M.D., University of North Dakota School of Medicine & Health Sciences
The award was announced earlier this month by ACGME.