For Your Health
For Your Health

News from the University of North Dakota School of Medicine & Health Sciences

Dr. Basson farewell reception to be held @SMHS on May 30

As you might have heard, Dr. Marc Basson, senior associate dean for medicine & research at the UND School of Medicine & Health Sciences, will be the next Dean of the School of Medicine at Northeast Ohio Medical University (NEOMED).

To celebrate Dr. Basson’s time at UND and wish him well, a farewell reception will be held from 3 to 4:30 p.m. outdoors on the SMHS East Patio on Tuesday, May 30. (In the case of inclement weather, the event will be held in the School’s West Atrium.)

“I have truly appreciated the dedication and enthusiasm of our UND administration, faculty, and staff, and I have learned much myself from the opportunity to work with each of you,” Basson noted in a letter to UND faculty and administrators. “It has been an honor to work here, and I look forward to following UND’s trajectory from afar. Although NEOMED colors are blue and gray, I think that I shall always be green and white inside!”

SMHS Dean Dr. Joshua Wynne extended his thanks to Basson for his years of service to the School, and noted that the move is something of a win-win for everyone.

“When I recruited Marc here many years ago, he accepted the offer on the understanding that his ultimate goal was to become a medical school dean himself some day,” explained Dr. Wynne. “The fact that his outstanding work here validated his candidacy for the top spot at another respected medical school obviously is a credit to him, but it also is a testament to our institution and our state healthcare infrastructure. We’re very happy for Marc and wish him all the best.”

Everyone is welcome to attend and light refreshments will be served.