Medical School in Seven Generations: An INMED student story

I attend the University of North Dakota and my institution offers the Indians into Medicine (INMED) program. I am honored to be a student in this program. Every year this program offers seven Native American students seats in the incoming medical school class. This program has offered me numerous opportunities and provided me with fantastic friendships, leadership opportunities and wonderful mentors. As any current or former medical student knows, medical school is stressful and it can be easy to lose yourself to all of the stress and frenzy. Going into medical school, I knew that I ultimately wanted to return to practice medicine with my Native people and didn’t want to lose my cultural beliefs and traditions during my training. I had heard of other students who had become detached from their culture during their schooling, but the INMED program has kept me connected to my culture. It is wonderful to be able to speak to administrators who share your beliefs, understand your traditions and values and allow you to incorporate these into your medical training. Continue reading…