Coming Soon: NDSGC Eclipse Efforts 2022-2025
More information coming soon!
What: the ND Space Grant Consortium’s participation in the National Eclipse Ballooning Project (NEBP)
- NASA’s Science Mission Directorate (SMD) is providing $6.5 million for these efforts
- Lead: MTSGC, with other co-lead Space Grants across the country. The NDSGC will also fund ND’s involvement.
- Check out the eclipse.montana.edu website!
- View the tentative timeline
- ~70 teams nationwide will launch high altitude balloons during the 2023 annual eclipse and 2024 solar eclipse.
- There are two tracks: Engineering and Atmospheric Science. The NDSGC will pursue the Atmospheric Science track.
- Collaborate across the state: we’ll form a multi-institution team with diverse ND learners
- The NDSGC and the national network are focusing on increasing DEIA efforts as we prepare these eclipse missions. This includes involving more MSIs, early-career faculty, and non-research institution participation.
- Fall 2022
- NDSGC will submit a proposal to the national organizers, due October 2022. See CFP here.
- Recruitment! Team proposals due; Teams selected
- Spring 2023
- Students start participating
- Summer 2023
- In-person student launches; Regional meetings
- Fall 2023
- October 14th launch!
- Spring 2024
- April 8th launch!
- Data analysis, conferences, publishing, etc.
- All majors and experience levels welcome, atmospheric science interest preferred
- Numerous student roles may include: technical leads (atmospheric science, etc.), communications roles (social media, photography, STEM engagement), event logistics (managing timelines, lodging, travel support, etc.), risk management (safety officer, risk analysis, etc.), and more!
- The NDSGC is hoping to provide a faculty/staff stipend for mentors. More info will be forthcoming.
- Depending on the location of the sub-teams, mentors may need to lead practice launches without the NDSGC core team present (We’ll do our best to hold group-wide practices!)
- Mentors must be early-career professionals.
Interested in participating?
- Email Marissa (email@example.com) to become involved!
Share this opportunity:
Marissa Saad, PhD
Caitlin Milera, PhD
ND Space Grant High Altitude Balloon Flight Director: