University Letter

UND's faculty and staff newsletter

Remembering Ron Schaefer

Ron Schaefer
Ron Schaefer

Ron Schaefer, professor emeritus of fine arts, died July 20, 2021. He was 82.

He was born on June 2, 1939, to Harvey and Lorraine Schaefer in Milwaukee, Wis. He graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee with a bachelor’s degree. His two master’s degrees in fine arts were earned at the University of Wisconsin in Madison.

Ron had a long and successful career as a fine arts professor and department chairman at the University of North Dakota.

“Before he retired, I worked with Ron for about 9 or 10 years,” said Patrick Luber, professor of art & design. “As a new hire in the Department, I found Ron to be a low-keyed and unassuming colleague, but as I got to know him, I came to love his wry, humorous wit and quiet strength. He had a vast knowledge about art, but also was one of those rare individuals who was astutely insightful and wise. He could quickly assess, process, and summarize most any situation and provide a thoughtful response—and I learned much from him. I considered him to be a valuable colleague, but perhaps more importantly, I am happy to think of him as my friend.”

Ron also taught printmaking in Provence, France, in the 1980s. He married Cynthia Bates in 1962. The couple was married for 58 years. They traveled extensively, visiting museums throughout the world.

Ron was part of a loving family. His children, Eric Schaefer and Alexandra Schaefer Karvala (Eric), along with their mother, cared for him during his final illness. His five grandchildren are Sydney, Jack and Savannah Schaefer and Reese and Vaughn Karvala. Although he was an only child, he was raised with three cousins, Linda Mutter, Cheryl Fischer and Diane Waite. He had one niece, Molly Evans, and two nephews, Kirk and Max Evans, all of whom live in the Washington, D.C., area.

Ron had many interests besides art, including being a passionate Green Bay Packers fan and an enthusiastic gardener. He loved animals and volunteered for the Dane County Humane Society. He will be remembered for his sense of humor and kindness.

Family and friends are invited to a casual gathering at his gravesite at Rock Lake Cemetery, Lake Mills, Wis., on Sept. 18 at 11 a.m. People are encouraged to share and talk about their relationship with Ron. Lunch will follow. Donations may be sent to the Agrace Hospice Care or the Dane County Humane Society.