Myers tapped for interim School of Law dean

Brad Myers will take over for Kathryn Rand, who is returning to teaching, effective Aug. 1

Brad Myers
Brad Myers, who holds the title of Randy Lee Professor of Law, has been with UND Law since 2001, and carries a full load of teaching trusts and estates, tax, and business and estate planning in addition to his administrative duties as interim dean of School of Law. Photo by Jackie Lorentz/UND Today.

Brad Myers has been tapped to serve as interim dean for the School of Law by Thomas DiLorenzo, provost and vice president for academic affairs.

Myers, who has served as associate dean of UND Law since 2012, will begin his new duties Aug. 1.

Kathryn Rand, who has served as dean since 2009, is stepping down to return to teaching. A search committee is expected to launch in the fall to seek a permanent dean.

“Dean Rand has been a terrific representative for UND throughout her tenure,” said DiLorenzo. “She will be sorely missed. I have had the opportunity to work with Brad Myers on the Senate Budget Committee and been impressed with his knowledge and expertise in budget and tenure. I look forward to working with him.”

Active service

Myers, who holds the title of Randy Lee Professor of Law, has been with UND Law since 2001, and carries a full load of teaching trusts and estates, tax, and business and estate planning in addition to his administrative duties. He earned bachelor’s and master’s degrees in kinesiology from UCLA, his juris doctor from the University of Oregon and the LL.M. in taxation from New York University. He practiced law at private firms before joining the UND faculty.

He is active with the state and local bar associations and gives continuing legal education workshops across the state. He also serves on the editorial board for The Gavel, the publication of the State Bar Association of North Dakota.

Myers was appointed by Gov. Hoeven and reappointed by Gov. Burgum to serve as one of North Dakota’s commissioners to the National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws.

“It’s going to be so difficult stepping into Kathryn’s shoes,” said Myers. “She has so much expertise in the deanship. She developed strong relationships with faculty and staff to create a team approach. I will work to sustain that.”

Myers said his goals as interim dean will be to maintain momentum on current projects, develop new programs and prepare for the new permanent dean.

An extraordinary work ethic

Kathryn Rand
Kathryn Rand

“The faculty and staff are extremely pleased to have Brad selected,” said Rand. “His work ethic is extraordinary. I don’t know of another person in the country who has the same level of teaching and scholarship while serving as associate dean. Brad and I have worked closely together, and he has my full trust, along with the faculty and staff. He brings experience and expertise and very strong commitment to the success of UND Law.”

Rand, who also serves as the Floyd B. Sperry Professor of Law, served as acting and interim dean from 2009 to 2011, and was appointed dean in 2011. She announced in January that she was stepping down to return to teaching.

During her tenure, the School secured state and private funding for a major addition to the School, as well as renovation of the historic building, a $14.4 million project. The School also underwent one of the smoothest reaccreditation processes in recent history, as well as development of a new curriculum and other accomplishments.

“I feel strongly that the School of Law is well positioned for the next dean, and that this is the right time for me to return to my faculty role at the law school,” Rand said.

“This has been a labor of love for me,” she continued. “When I started as dean, I promised to work on the building project, successful reaccreditation and supporting the faculty in re-envisioning the curriculum. I’m delighted to have shared in those successes.”