Harmony in numbers

A double major in Music and Accountancy, Leader in Action Hannah Thorlakson blends musical passion with an interest in numbers and business

An Honors student at UND, Hannah Thorlakson is double-majoring in fields that let her “blend analytical precision and artistic expression,” as the story reports: Music and Accountancy. Photo by Mike Hess/UND Today.

There is a theory that people are either right-brained or left-brained.

If you are mostly analytical and methodical in your thinking, theory says you’re left-brained. Creative and artistic? Then you’re right-brained.

Hannah Thorlakson may just be both.

Originally from Langdon, N.D., she grew up balancing her analytic left brain and her creative right brain with a blend of musical passion and an interest in numbers and business.

Playing several instruments in high school, she learned quickly that she loved the trumpetAt the same time, she also discovered a strong affinity for accounting during business classes.

“I used to say that accounting was my purpose and music was my passion,” she said. “But UND has helped me realize that I don’t have to choose between the two, I can do both!”

Read and watch more about Hannah and her successful career at UND.