A number of documents have been posted to the Finance and Operations Policy Office website (see New & Revised Policy Updates) for notification of approval and notification of revision.
Policies Newly Implemented
Policies that have gone through the standard development process (unless otherwise identified as an interim document) become official after being signed by the president.
Endpoint Security Software – Interim Approval Signed July 25, 2017
All desktop and laptop computers owned by the University must have the most recent version of the University’s standard endpoint security software installed and up-to-date. Exemptions to the policy must have the University Chief Information Officer’s approval.
Contact Office of Chief Information Officer (777-5657) if you have questions or submit your comment.
Policies (and some procedures) periodically undergo review and revision. These documents may or may not require endorsement by President’s Cabinet depending on the extent to which revisions are made.
Background Checks – Signed July 25, 2017 / Effective July 25, 2017
At the request of Human Resources the policy was revised to:
- Change name of policy to Background Checks
- Add affiliates to those required to have a background check
- Update definition of new hire based on change in NDUS policy
- Add affiliates, background check, contract employees, volunteers and independent contractors to Definitions
- Clarify the entity responsible for costs associated with conducting background checks in Policy Statement
- Add NDUS procedure 511 to Related Information
- Change name of and clarified content in Procedures: Background Check
- Add Procedures: Employment Verification
- Add Procedures: License or Certification Verification
- Add Procedures: Academic Credentials Verification
Contact Human Resources (777-4361) if you have questions.
Cell Phones and Other Mobile Devices – Interim Approval Signed July 25, 2017 / Effective August 1, 2017
Note: This interim approval will give the Policy Office an opportunity to partner with Telecommunication and the Office of the CIO to address comments identified during the campus comment period. This will allow for testing of processes as outlined in the document and additional policy revision based on implementation. This policy had not been reviewed/revised for five years. Consequently, the technology allowance was changed considerably to meet the current pricing structure and rate plans offered by cellular providers. No adjustments will be made to the new technology allowance rate structure during the interim phase of this document. To reduce departmental workload, Payroll Services will cancel current add pays for technology allowances submitted in July. Departments must follow the process identified in the revised policy when requesting a technology allowance for FY18 or for a university-owned mobile device.
At the request of the Policy Office the policy was revised. Significant changes have been made. In summary:
- Changed responsible office to Telecommunications
- Revised Policy Statement to put emphasis on technology allowances rather than university-owned mobile devices, added restrictions on mobile carriers and ability to enter into contracts separate from institutional plan, cleaned up additional language
- Revised Reason for Policy to include prudent use of funds, and added SBHE policies for compliance purposes
- Added to Related Information: IRS guidance on tax treatment of cell phones, NDCC Chapter 44-04, SBHE 1202.1 and 1202.3, UND tech support, and UND surplus property policy
- Updated Contacts to include new points of contact, phone numbers and web links
- Updated Definitions to include CIO and NCAA; removed cell phone/mobile phone, mobile computing device, reimbursement, and essential personal purposes; revised content for mobile device and/or service; and renamed monthly payroll amount as technology allowance
- Added and restructured content within Principles: overview, de minimis use, political purposes, business travel, technical support and mobile carriers
- Added Procedures: Eligibility Requirements
- Revised Procedures: Technology Allowances reducing number of allowance tiers from four to two and reducing amounts to coincide with currently available personal cell phone plans; added CIO authorization as requirement; added process to discontinue allowance
- Revised Procedures: University-Owned Mobile Devices to add department-assigned devices, process to request and discontinue a university-owned mobile device, insurance and replacement of devices, billing and service plans
- Added Procedures: Terms of Participation
- Clarified Procedures: Other Reimbursements
- Added Procedures: Safety and Security When Using Mobile Devices
- Added Procedures: Preserving Information on Mobile Devices
Contact Policy Office (777-4392) if you have questions.