Renovation Disruptions & Changes
Update on 5/22/2019: We are unable to issue unaffiliated library cards for community members. Alumni may still obtain a card, but others without affiliation to the university will be unable to obtain a card during this period of time.
Major (but temporary) changes are afoot at the library! Due to removal of the entire ceiling to add a sprinkler system and new lighting to the west side of the building, most staff offices will be moved for eight weeks, starting on Monday, May 20. Current staff offices on the west side of the building will be inaccessible to both staff and the public during the entire eight weeks.
Please note the following changes and disruptions to library services:
The Access Services Desk will be moving to the south entrance. The following services will still be available at this temporary service point:
- Circulation (checking out books, etc.)
- Interlibary Loan pickup
- Holds pickup (requests will be pulled three times per day during this period of time)
- Course reserves
Ask a Librarian/Reference
The Ask a Librarian Desk (and reference services) will be on-call only. We highly recommend using one of our alternate services for more in-depth reference help during this time:
We will be moving some of technology to the south entrance as well:
- one uPrint print-release station (with black and white and color printing options)
- one scanner
Unavailable during this phase of the renovation
- Cash sales printing will not be available during this time. If you do not have a UND identification card, you will not be able to print materials.
- Student and public-access computer labs will not be available. Students and guests will still be able to access the internet via their own devices as usual, but the library will not have any computer stations or labs open to the public. The lab on the 3rd floor (Learning Space 320) will be used as staff space during this time, and the 2nd floor lab will be inaccessible.
- Because computer labs are unavailable, temporary guest passes for computer use will not be issued during this time.
Books and Study Spaces
The Department of Special Collections will be open and in its normal location on the 4th floor throughout this phase of the renovation. Visitors will still have access to the books and most of the study spaces on the 3rd and 4th floors. Note that some study rooms will be used as staff space during this time, so double-check for signs that indicate that space you are planning to use isn’t open to students.
The reference collection (on the 2nd floor) will be unavailable to all during this phase of the renovation.
The south entrance is the only open entry point, so all visitors will need to enter through the south side of the building. Signs will direct visitors around the open sections of the library, and elevator access to the upper levels will still be available.