CoBPA News

Learn more about how the UND Nistler College of Business & Public Administration (CoBPA) impacts North Dakota, the region, the country, and the globe as we accomplish our mission.

Get to Know this Exceptional Scholar and Leader Attending the Nistler CoBPA

Get to know Eliza Schueneman, an Exceptional Scholar and Leader attending the Nistler CoBPA

Tell us about yourself! I’m Eliza Schueneman, a senior at the University of North Dakota majoring in Political Science with minors in Leadership and Legal Studies. I am a Page Scholar and enrolled in the UND Honors Program. I am the current President of Women in Business and also serve as the Student Government Senator for the Nistler College. In the past I was the Philanthropy Directory for my sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta. I am passionate about using my knowledge and skills learned from my time at the University of North Dakota to better the world around me.

Why did you decide to come to UND? My mom graduated from UND law school, so I grew up going to hockey games in the Ralph Englestad Arena. The University of North Dakota seemed like a dream come true. Not too big, not too small, not too close, not too far…just right. It really felt like a home away from home. When it came to decide between colleges, choosing UND was one of the easiest decisions I’ve ever made.

How has the Nistler College prepared you to be a woman in leadership? The Nistler College offers ENDLESS opportunity. I’ve been involved in the Poolman Leadership Academy, which taught me how to channel my personal leadership strengths to lead a group. I had a mentor through the Pancratz Mentorship Program, which allowed me to connect with a local attorney and explore what passions I wanted to pursue. The Nistler College hosts multiple business events such as the Morrison Leadership Summit and Olafson Ethics Symposium which allows students to network with the community and gain real-life experience. I will always be forever grateful of the Pancratz Center, where I was able to connect with Kathy Lund and six other women leaders to found Women in Business.

What does it mean to you to be a woman a leadership? I have grown so much as a leader since starting my time at the University of North Dakota. I have learned through not only direct leadership experience but through being a follower as well. There is a shared a sense of community with other woman leaders. Being woman in business means being a part of something bigger than myself. I am thankful of the women trailblazers that have come before me and can only hope I do the same by paving the way for women leaders that come after me. 

How have you given back to both the UND and Grand Forks Communities? For the past two summers, I have had the lucky experience of being a volunteer mentor for BIO Girls (Beautiful Inside and Out). This is a growing program born in North Dakota where we meet with girls grades 2-6th once a week from the beginning of June through the end of August and hold conversations centering around topics such as positive body image, what it means to be a good friend, and the power of sticking up for yourself to name a few. We hold a large group session that covers that week’s topic broadly, small group sessions that go further into detail, and end the night by going on a run altogether. We slowly work our milage up week by week and at the end of the summer all the girls participate in the local 5K race. I was a leader for one of the small groups and I can genuinely say it has been one of the most impactful volunteer experiences I have been a part of. I remember how it felt to be that age and how intimidating growing up can be at times. I’m very happy to help these girls navigate these life experiences and give them a safe place to be themselves. I had a chance to meet the founder of BIO girls at the past Women in Philanthropy Luncheon. Her and I spoke on why she created BIO girls as well as my experience as a small group mentor. I loved seeing how one determined woman can form such a positive experience for many. It inspired me connect my career and helping others. This is a growing organization and new BIO girl sites are being established each summer. I’m lucky to be a part of something so valuable to not only me but the community.

What are your future plans? Do you intend to be a leader outside of college? My two passions in life are law and leadership. I minored in leadership in my undergraduate studies and wish to continue to grow my skills in graduate school through involvement and other opportunities. I graduate from the University of North Dakota with my degree in Political Science in May of 2023. I will be attending the University of Minnesota Law School this Fall. I know that the Nistler College of Business and Public Administration has extensively prepared me to embark on my newest journey.