Research Tips: Naming and saving files
When naming NIH files to attach to a packet, please be sure to follow these guidelines (summarized below):
- File names need to be 50 characters or fewer (including spaces).
- All names in one packet need to be unique.
- Use any of the following characters: A-Z, a-z, 0-9, underscore, hyphen, space, and period.
- Use only one space (not two or more) between words or characters and do not begin the file name with a space or include a space immediately before the .pdf extension.
- Avoid the use of the ampersand (&) since it requires special formatting.
- Ensure the file size is greater than 0 bytes.
- Keep attachment file size to 100 MB or fewer.
Also be sure to flatten the .pdf files!