INMED leads the way

INMED Leads the Way

INMED (Indians Into Medicine) medical students continue to make history as leaders at the University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences (UND SMHS).

INMED (Indians Into Medicine) medical student Megan Corn was selected by her peers to lead the University of North Dakota’s (UND) School of Medicine Class of 2024 as the School’s first Indigenous female class president. UND’s INMED program made history again this year with its 50th medical school class: Ross Ogden and Reese Siegle became the nation’s first Indigenous President and Vice President. INMED medical school students hold other important leadership roles at UND. INMED is immensely proud of these—and all—our students. Read on to meet some of these leaders.

Reese Hanahbee Siegle, Chickashsha/Chata Holisso Aapisa’ Alikchi’, MD Class of 2027 Vice President

Chokma, Saholchifoat Reese Hanahbee Siegle, Ada, Oklahoma aamintili Chickashsha, Chata holisso aapisa’ alikchi’ saya. In English, My name is Reese Hanahbee Siegle, I am from Ada Oklahoma, and I am a Chickasaw medical student. I am extremely fortunate to have the privilege of studying medicine at the University of North Dakota School of Medicine. Growing up, I had a lot of exposure to medicine. My mother worked as a registered nurse and father as a medical doctor in the Indian Health Service at Carl Albert Indian Hospital in Ada, Oklahoma. Often, we had discussions about their experiences working in Indian country.

I attended school from Pre-K to College in Ada, Oklahoma, the heart of Chickasaw Country. Because of this, I was able to integrate my culture into my education. I took four semesters of Chickasaw Language courses, a semester course on Native American Health, participated in NASNTI, The Native American Student Association, The Chickasaw Nation Chokka Kilimpi’ Program. I was introduced to the INMED program here at the University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences by Chickasaw Physician and INMED Alumnus Dr. Mahate Parker. Dr. Parker told me about how great her experiences were in INMED. I knew I wanted to integrate my culture into my education the same way I was able to in undergraduate school, and the University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences has allowed me to facilitate this goal. Through my exposure and experiences with other programs, I don’t think there is a more supportive program for Native students at any other United States medical school.

I am privileged to study medicine at a school that emphasizes American Indian health. It is an honor to have been selected to serve as a leader for the University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Class of 2027. My goals as a leader for the Doctor of Medicine Class of 2027 is to make sure that everyone in our class–regardless of background–is given a voice and feels welcome studying medicine at this institution. A priority of mine is to spread the word about the Indians into Medicine program and provide information on what this great program does for students.

Annie Ferguson, Native Village of Ouzinkie, MD Class of 2026 Admissions Committee Member, Lead Med Prep Instructor, Student Interest Group President

I chose to run for a position on this committee because I am very passionate about recruiting and advocating for Indigenous students as they apply for medical school. The opportunity allowed me to educate my peers and faculty about the unique backgrounds and hardships Indigenous people face on their journey to medical school. Being elected by my classmates was an honor that helped empower me to further pursue my mission of promoting diversity within medicine.

I also decided to be the lead instructor for the INMED Med Prep Program Summer 2023 so that I could connect with students from underrepresented backgrounds as they studied for the medical school admissions test (MCAT). This position was important to me because I struggled to feel adequately prepared for my MCAT and often felt isolated during my studies. In a teaching role, I was able to motivate and support students while they prepared for their exams and while they began creating their applications. It was a humbling experience to assist in the educational journey of these students, and I look forward to the day we can treat patients together.

Finally, I founded the Wilderness Medicine Interest Group with the help of my peers and serve as President. It is a space for current medical students to learn hands-on skills that will allow them to feel more prepared when entering a wilderness setting. Through this organization, I have been able to facilitate connections with my peers and with current physicians who have broadened my horizons of what my medical career could look like.

King, MAT, ATC, AEMT, MUEC, Ojibwe/Anishinaabe/Cree, MD Class of 2026 Rep/Rural Health Leader/Student Government, Undergraduate Medical Educational Committee Representative

I had the honor of being elected as a member of the first-ever Student Government of UND School of Medicine and was voted by my peers, the Class of 2026, to be on The Undergraduate Medical Educational Committee (UMEC). The UMEC, in collaboration with the Dean, oversees the undergraduate medical education program. The Committee has full authority over the design, management, implementation, and assessment of the curriculum and establishes policy in order to carry out the charge of the committee and to meet LCME accreditation requirements. I hold the communications officer position for the Rural Health Board, and I participate in Root to Rise, which is a medical mentoring program for middle school and high school future medical professionals. In addition, I am a 2nd Lieutenant in the North Dakota Army National Guard with over 14 years of service.

Tarlynn Tone-Pah-Hote, Kiowa/Oneida/Onondaga, MD Class of 2024, ANAMS Chapter Co-President

For the past four years at UND I have served as our co-chapter president for the Association of Native American Medical Students (ANAMS). It has been an honor to be in this position which has allowed us to build space to mentor youth, promote health/wellness in our communities, and, most importantly, has connected me to many future healers within UND and beyond. Our ANAMS chapter has a strong focus and passion for mentorship. Many of us at UND did not have access to those who may have walked a similar path to medicine. Knowing that, we find it important to help de-mystify medicine in general and the medical school process by reaching back and mentoring fellow medical students, undergrads, and school-aged children who may have interest in healthcare.

Starting this year as our INMED and ANAMS groups continue to grow, we have added first-year representative positions to encourage leadership within our organization. Gaining leadership experience throughout medical school is valuable as it helps build confidence and communication skills and fosters teamwork–all qualities budding physicians need to help build their toolbox of skills. I hope to see our chapter continue to flourish, take on new projects, and open doors of opportunity for our members to grow and become the best physicians possible for our communities.

Megan Corn, Chickasaw/Cherokee/Choctaw, MD Class of 2024 President

In my fourth year as a UND medical student and Class President, I’ve been reflecting a lot on my time here in North Dakota. I am particularly proud of the AOA grant for student leadership to make ribbon skirts and mentor American Indian and Alaska Native students of North America. I am applying to residency programs in OB/GYN this cycle and am hoping to continue my diversity, equity, and inclusion research regarding maternal morbidity and mortality differences in American Indian women. I think the biggest thing I’m appreciative of my time at UND is the community I’ve built, the support from the School and INMED, and the Midwest warmth.

Ross Ogden, Cherokee,  MD Class of 2027 President

Siyo, Ross Ogden dagwado’ yonega gvhdi. Nagwu jigi Tvsuyvtlv Dagoda jinela asehno Daligwa, Ogalahoma digegv’i. Nvwoti gadelogwa’a alesgwu tsitsalagi. Osda jidenadolhgi.

Hello, my name is Ross Ogden and I am a Cherokee medical student. I am originally from a tight-knit rural town in Oklahoma, a place with around 150 people where my childhood was filled with rodeoing, basketball games, hunting, fishing, and a constant appetite for new adventures.

The Gates Millennium Scholarship opened doors, allowing me to pursue higher education at the University of Oklahoma. Graduating with honors, I earned a Bachelor of Science in Biology with minors in Chemistry and Spanish. My journey continued with a Master of Public Health in Epidemiology, specializing in Infectious Disease, concluding in the spring of 2019. Joining Cherokee Nation in the fall of 2019, I intended to transition to medical school the following year. However, the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic revealed a unique calling. As the sole Infectious Disease Epidemiologist at Cherokee Nation, I chose to stay and contribute to my tribe during this critical time.

Today, I am a medical student at the University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences. I am honored to have been chosen as the Class President by my fellow peers, and I am humbled by the chance to fulfill this role. My primary objectives as President are to prioritize being a supportive friend and reliable classmate above all else. Additionally, I aim to ensure that every voice is given equal consideration. It is my aspiration to foster open discussions, dismantle stigmas, and challenge stereotypes to enhance the quality of care for our future patients. Ultimately, my goal is to contribute to the establishment of a positive and enjoyable atmosphere throughout our medical school journey.

Orthopedics, Otolaryngology, Family Medicine, and Internal Medicine pique my interest. I’m enthusiastic about the journey ahead and the meaningful connections forged along the way. Wado!