John D. Odegard School of Aerospace Sciences

News and information from the UND John D. Odegard School of Aerospace Sciences.

Thesis Proposal Presentation on May 5th by Tyler Hill

Space Studies master’s student, Tyler Hill, will give his thesis proposal presentation as follows.  Please mark your calendars.

When:  Monday, May 5th at 9:00 am

Where:  Ryan Hall, Room 111 (not available online)

Title: “Assistive Systems for Extravehicular Activity (EVA) Gloves”

About the topic: Extravehicular activities (EVA) have become an integral part of human spaceflight operations and will continue to fulfill a valuable role as we pursue a future in which humanity has expanded its presence beyond our planet. Current spacesuit technology is well suited for open space and allows astronauts to carry out relatively complex activities. However there are shortcomings with the technology that need to be considered prior to the implementation of the next generation spacesuit, one of which is the design of the EVA suit glove. Whether it is for planetary operations or open space, gloves which least inhibit the dexterity and functionality of the hand are the most valuable to the astronaut wearing them. Current gloves, as well as space suits as a whole, utilize an anthropomorphic balloon lining to maintain pressure around the body. While it’s an effective method the crew member inside constantly has to deform the balloon to move which strains and fatigues their muscles in a short amount of time.

The development of an assistive device could allow the astronaut to perform more dexterous movements and for longer periods of time. The goal of this work is to design and develop a functional prototype assistive device that can be attached to the gloves of an EVA suit. This would be valuable not only to current crews performing maintenance EVA’s on the International Space Station but for future planetary missions where the crews have to become more self-reliant.

Bio

I have been interested in spaceflight since my first trip to Johnson Space Center at age 7. In 2012 I graduated from California Polytechnic University in San Luis Obispo, CA with a B.S. in Aerospace Engineering. There I had focused my efforts on orbital mechanics, spacecraft propulsion, and spacecraft design. I came to the Space Studies program at UND that fall pursuing my interests in human spaceflight and built upon the engineering knowledge I had gained during my undergraduate degree. I began working for Pablo de Leon my first semester and through him was exposed to the development of space suit technology which has led me to pursue developing an assistive devise for space suit gloves.