University Letter

UND's faculty and staff newsletter

Letter from President Kelley

In my December 1, 2009 State of the University Address, I said that I thought it was time for UND to begin a collective conversation through the remainder of the academic year about a shared commitment to a specific set of action items to meet the expectations we have of ourselves and to realize our full potential for having a positive impact on society.  As I also said then, we already have some significant synergies across disciplines, a positive relationship with local governments and businesses, and many other qualities that provide a strong base from which to build. 

The issue before us now is what we can do, as a University community, to enhance connections among areas of strength and to build on the commitment to the kind of community we want to be.  Those steps will enable us to move still further forward as a university with a distinctive identity in our academic, research and service enterprises and in our quality of life.

I would like to initiate the collective conversation I spoke of in December and invite you to attend a UND Town Hall Meeting on Tuesday, March 9, 2010 at noon in the Baker Courtroom on the third floor of the School of Law.  At that time I will share with you the process we will follow for our conversation.

I have enormous confidence and pride in us, as a University community, and look forward to the next several months as, together, we define the strategies and action items that will take UND from Great to Exceptional.

Sincerely,

Robert O. Kelley, President