University Letter

UND's faculty and staff newsletter

Emergency and urgent care expert joins Physician Assistant Program

Julie A. Andersson has been named assistant professor in the Physician Assistant Program at the School of Medicine and Health Sciences. She is a seasoned professional in providing emergency and urgent care in rural areas.

“We are excited to have Julie on board with us,” said Jeanie McHugo, director of the UND PA Program. “Her practice experience and wealth of medical knowledge will be a definite asset to the strength of our curriculum.”

“I graduated from UND in January 2003,” said Andersson. “I felt well-prepared to practice in the rural setting where I obtained employment. I have a lot of autonomy—I still work in the emergency department one to two weekends per month—and a good relationship with my supervising physicians.”

“I told my classmates that my 10-year plan was to return to UND to teach. At the PA convention in Atlanta last summer, I met Dr. Jeanie McHugo and adjunct faculty member Ken Korn, who had been a full-time faculty member when I was a student. I told him my plan was to ‘take his job,’ and I was informed they were actually recruiting for a faculty member at the time. I interviewed, was offered the job and here I am.”

Andersson has completed her course work for her Master of Physician Assistant Studies degree at the University of Nebraska Medical Center, from which she will graduate in May. She earned her Physician Assistant Certificate from UND in 2003. Andersson has attained advanced certifications in emergency and urgent care techniques, including cardiac, comprehensive, and trauma life support as well as rapid sequence intubation and airway management. She is a member of the American Academy of Physician Assistants.

“I feel I bring experience in rural health care to the position, which is the focus of the UND PA program, and a desire to learn more and to teach future health care professionals.”

— Denis MacLeod, assistant director, Office of Alumni and Community Relations, School of Medicine and Health Sciences, 777-2733, denis.macleod@med.und.edu.