The marketing and communications team at the UND Alumni Association &
Foundation (UNDAAF) received seven awards in the 2021 Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) District VI Institutional Awards, including the top recognition for a UND Alumni Magazine cover design starring a UND student.
The awards were received in the following categories:
• Design: Covers: Grand Gold: When the World is Upside Down (Photographer/Designer: Sam Melquist)
• Design: Editorial Design: Bronze: That Supercentenarian Smile (Photographer/Designer: Sam Melquist; Editor: Leanna Ihry)
• Fundraising Pivot: Gold: UND Angel Fund
• Magazines: Publishing Improvement: Silver: UND Alumni Magazine (Editors: Alyssa Konickson/Leanna Ihry; Designer: Sam Melquist)
• Video: General Information Long: Bronze: In Her Corner: Judge Jade Rosenfeldt (Producer: Jenn Lukens; Videographer/Editor: Milo Smith)
• Writing: Profile: Gold: That Supercentenarian Smile (Writer: Leanna Ihry)
• Writing: Profile: Gold: Her Name is Good Medicine (Writer: Alyssa Konickson)
The Grand Gold-winning magazine cover from the Spring 2020 issue featured Kate Long, a spring 2020 graduate of UND, who appears to be hanging upside down (although she was shot from overhead while lying on the ground). She also agreed to let graphic designer Sam Melquist change her blue hair highlights to a shade of UND green.
“Our team of creatives really knocked it out of the park in a year in which we asked a lot from them,” said DeAnna Carlson Zink, CEO of the UNDAAF. “We essentially had to do a hard pivot as we saw our normal channels for fundraising disrupted by the pandemic. I’m proud to see them recognized for their outstanding efforts on behalf of UND students.”
The Marketing/Communications staff includes Sarah Prout, Associate Vice President of Engagement; Milo Smith, Senior Director of Public Relations & Videography; Alyssa Konickson, Director of Storytelling & Content Strategy; Sara Titera, Graphic Designer; Jenn Lukens, Associate Director of Communications; and Allison Kremer, Social Media & Marketing Coordinator.
CASE supports alumni relations, communications, development, and marketing professionals at educational institutions at more than 3,400 colleges, universities and independent elementary and secondary schools in more than 70 countries. CASE District VI represents educational institutions in Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wyoming.