College of Nursing & Professional Disciplines

Updates for students, alumni, and supporters

Dr. Kelsey Morin joins RAIN

MHA Mentor Kelsey Morin

Dr. Kelsey Morin is looking forward to having a positive impact on native students in education.

The College of Nursing & Professional Disciplines is excited to welcome Dr. Kelsey Morin! Morin began last month as an MHA Education Pathways Mentor within the Recruitment & Retention of American Indians into Nursing (RAIN) program.

The MHA Education Pathways Program is an MHA-funded initiative based on the RAIN Program’s Mentor Model. The RAIN program has over 30 years of proven success providing support services to American Indian students enrolled in pre-nursing, undergraduate and graduate nursing. The program recently expanded into the college’s social work and nutrition & dietetics programs.

In her role as an MHA Education Pathways Mentor, Morin will assist students from the Mandan, Hidatsa, and Arikara Nations (MHA) to navigate college financial aid, admissions, professional development, and career planning.

The Positive Impact of Mentors

Morin, who is from the Turtle Mountains, is looking forward to having a positive impact on native students in education. She finds inspiration in her past mentors who helped her achieve her own academic goals. “They also showed me the personal side of mentoring and were truly invested in me as a person,” says Morin.

Morin’s resume is impressive. She completed two Bachelor of Science degrees (Biology & Psychology) while minoring in Chemistry and American Indian Studies. She completed a Ph.D. in Biology in May of 2022.

Helping Others Navigate College

Morin has been employed at UND in some capacity since 2013, but her UND ties go back even further. In high school, she attended the Indians Into Medicine (INMED) Summer Institute, which prepares students for college and careers in the allied health fields. While attending Turtle Mountain Community College, Morin spent two summers at UND completing research through the National Science Foundation’s Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program.

“I was attracted to the RAIN program because of their dedication and enthusiasm to help students navigate college,” says Morin. She feels the RAIN program is uniquely situated to support native students. Moring says that “taking a more holistic approach to advising is something many colleges cannot do.”

Not only will she help students from UND but also from other colleges in the region. “I love working with students and I have witnessed the impact of a caring mentor,” shares Morin.

Morin looks forward to the impact she can make with her role within the RAIN program. “Overall, I am excited to have a positive impact on native students in higher education.”

Comments

1 comment
Debbie Schroeder Jeanotte says:

Congratulations Kelsey I am an Alumni of RAIN and cannot stress enough adorations for this program. I entered into the program as an older than average student and was older than most of my instructors. This program gave me the courage to continue my profession of nursing and become confident in myself. I am forever grateful for the RAIN program. Thank you for encouraging more of our young people to pursue this field of medicine.