SMHS hands out student and faculty awards at annual ‘Sophomore Awards’ ceremony
Several UND School of Medicine & Health Sciences medical students and faculty received awards on Thursday, Jan. 12, at the School’s 2023 Sophomore Awards Ceremony. Academic, teaching, and service awards were awarded on behalf of the School and the North Dakota Medical Association, including:
North Dakota Medical Association Awards
Awarded to second-year students nominated by their peers, the M.D. Class of 2025, and recognized for outstanding performance in the following three curricular areas:
- Group Leadership and Professionalism – Steffan Stroh, Underwood, Minn.
Engages in ethical conduct, facilitates group interaction and productivity, motivates others to learn, exhibits personal integrity, and interacts with others appropriately with respect and courtesy
- Peer Teaching – Regan Bradley, Bismarck, N.D.
Outstanding contributions to the group’s database and facilitating group learning, skillful and accurate presentations, and willingness to assist fellow classmates to learn concepts they do not understand
- Integration of Basic Science and Clinical Application – Sean Keup, Plymouth, Minn.
Ability to analyze problems, generate hypotheses, set priorities, test hypotheses and formulate alternative hypotheses, draw appropriate conclusions, and apply the knowledge to patient cases
SMHS Academic Awards
The following awards are given to second-year medical students in recognition of their overall academic achievements:
- The DeBoer Memorial Award – Seth Buryska, Rochester, Minn.
Given in memory of Mrs. Benjamin DeBoer and presented by the Department of Biomedical Sciences
- Philip H. Woutat Memorial Scholarship Award – Brailyn Weber, Fargo, N.D.
Presented by the Department of Biomedical Sciences on behalf of Mrs. Philip Woutat in memory of her husband for his service as a radiology instructor
- William Eugene Cornatzer Award – Adam Swanson, Fergus Falls, Minn.
Presented by the Department of Biomedical Sciences in memory of Dr. Eugene Cornatzer, founder and inaugural chair of the Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, and a pioneering and innovative leader in medical education and biomedical research
- James Kelleher Award – Lindsey Martens, Sartell, Minn.
Presented by the Department of Biomedical Sciences in honor of Dr. Kelleher’s outstanding service to the School of Medicine & Health Sciences, and his dedication and contributions to the teaching of medical students
SMHS Service Award
- Kevin Monk Award – Bo Lauckner, Leeds, N.D.
Given to a second-year medical student for outstanding service to the School of Medicine & Health Sciences.
SMHS faculty were also nominated for Outstanding Teacher Awards by the first- and second-year medical student classes, including:
- Portrait Award – Michelle Montgomery, Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Science
For outstanding support of students during their first two years of medical education
- Golden Apple Awards (for excellence in teaching, given to the instructor whose teaching has had the greatest impact) –
- Nominated by Class of 2025: Lauren Huddle, M.D., Department of Pathology
- Nominated by Class of 2026: Patrick Carr, Ph.D., Department of Biomedical Sciences