January 2021: Start Your Year Right
January 1, 2021, issued in a new year. We look forward to new challenges, adventures, and….contracts. Are you ready for a new contract? Let us check… When was the last time you conducted an online search for your company, update your SBA profile, or add new core competencies & differentiators to your capability statement? Has it been over six months? You need to complete the tasks below. These are easy tasks to check off your ‘contract ready list’.
Before you start, pretend you are a contract officer (CO) that knows NOTHING about our company. As you read the information, are there large gaps, assumptions made, outdated products/services, or incorrect data? Think about the impression you are making.
Prepare for the New Year – New Contract
- Search your company by name, employee, city, state, etc.
- List where the company is found
- Read every line of your website…EVERY LINE
- Read your capability statement, for more information: Capability Statements for the Government Marketplace.
- Read your SBA Profile at SBA DSBS Search
- Check your certifications at https://beta.sam.gov/
As you reviewed all your information, including your physical sites (such as storefronts, company vehicles, etc.), track what is old, missing, and needs updating. What new impression do you want to make? Moreover, make your new impression by ‘repairing’ your information.
‘Repair’ your information
- Add what (certifications, awards, recognitions, skills, etc.) and who (new employees, new division, etc.) is missing
- Correct incorrect or missing information
- Update contract information
- Remember city, school, county, and state contract show your experience as a government contractor
- Remove past performance over 5 years old. If you are able, keep only the past 3 years of past performance.
- Showcase employees and company expertise
- Renew your certifications – Keep them current and active
Make your company easy to find every day of the year. You want contracts…you need to be ready. Remember to review & update registrations, highlight new expertise, talents & skills of your employees, and revise your capability statement & website.
As always, if you are not sure where to start or how to get organized, connect with the North Dakota Procurement Technical Assistance Center (ND PTAC). Our services are at no cost to businesses registered in the state of North Dakota; register here to schedule an appointment: https://ndptac.ecenterdirect.com/.
Not from North Dakota? Find your closest PTAC on APTAC (https://www.aptac-us.org/) and then click on your state.