Odds and Ends
Know your acronyms
AOA: Alpha Omega Alpha is the medical honor society. Students are generally chosen for this society in their junior and senior year. There is a very specific number of individuals that can be inducted from a given class. Dr. Cornelius (Mac) Dyke is the advisor. Stay tuned for more information on exactly how the students will be chosen.
Something for everybody: if you get summoned for jury duty
If you get called to jury duty, sometimes it is possible to serve. But not always. If it is not, please let Dr. Dorscher (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Cindy Stromme (email@example.com) know, and they will provide you with the appropriate documentation to request a deferral with the appropriate agency.
New curriculum update for current medical students
Here’s a short and sweet version of the curriculum changes for the 2019-2020 academic year
Year 2 students:
- 6-weeks for preparation and taking Step 1.
- Blocks 7 and 8 assessment will occur in week 8.
- CBSE exam will be the “gateway exam” into year 3 clerkships.
- Clinical skills boot camp will be held in week 8 of Block 8.
Year 1 students:
- The first 2-weeks of Blocks 2, 3, and 4 will have different scheduling than the rest of the block.
- Each block includes an exam with questions from the medical examiners national database.
- The lottery for campus location in years 3 and 4 and ROME will be in January 2020.
- Electives in the summer of 2020 are required.
Minors on Campus Training
The SMHS Office of Student Affairs & Admissions will host a Minors on Campus training event on Monday, Sept. 16 at 4 p.m. in Room E101 (the Charles H. Fee, MD, Auditorium). This training is mandatory for all students who will participate in any functions involving minors on campus (e.g., the Teddy Bear Clinic).