Grand Rounds

SMHS Student Affairs & Admissions News

Campus Updates: Sept. 2019

Fargo

The Southeast Campus made it through the first proctoring of shelf exams on August 23 with the help of our VA Medical Center neighbors, who pitched in when UND lost their network connections across the state. All staff and students handled the glitch in the system well, and with the exception of starting a bit late no other problems were reported. Post exam pizza was a hit!

Students should remember the following important dates:

• September 5: ERAS open for application submission
  • September 15: ERAS application data released to residency programs AND NRMP opens for registration (may be completed after your ERAS applications submitted, return to ERAS to enter your NRMP ID number)
  • October 1: MSPEs released to residency programs
  • End of October: Preferred latest time to take step 2 CK (scores will be available for interviews)
  • November 30: Last day to register with NRMP without late fee
  • December 31: Preferred latest date for Step 2 CS to be completed (allows results to be returned prior to rank list submission)

Flu Shots – Required and require documentation submitted to the Campus Office!

Remember that flu shots are mandatory for physicians-students in the community clinics and the hospitals. UND is required to provide PROOF of vaccination to hospitals for students on rotation. Make sure you get a receipt. (Receipt with your name/date; chart note; etc.). All students on rotation at Southeast Campus clinical sites must provide documentation of flu shot to the campus office no later than October 25, 2019.

The Southeast Campus is asking UND Student Health to administer shots to students after the October 18, 2019, Shelf Exam (at student expense) for those that had not already received the vaccine. More information will follow from the SE Campus Office.

Bismarck

Dr. Issa Al Rabadi, along with Sanford Health in Bismarck, has offered case discussions and lunch for medical students on the SW Campus. A variety of topics will be covered at these lunches, including heart failure, anemia, DKA to COPD, sickle cell anemia and TVE. Lunches are strictly voluntary for students to attend, but know that the events will give students the opportunity to discuss cases on a more intimate level with providers outside of the clinic setting. Case discussions are scheduled twice a month on the UND SW Campus. The exact schedule has not been set, but tentatively will be every other Thursday at noon. Stay tuned.

Grand Forks

Life changed drastically as I transitioned from a second-year, to a third-year medical student in July. I found myself getting less sleep and working longer days, but feeling too an even greater appreciation for the medical field. I chose to stay on the Grand Forks campus as a third-year student. I wanted to stay close to my family and get plenty of hands-on experience in the clinics and hospital. Students who are on the Grand Forks campus work within Altru Health System.

I am two rotations into my third year, and I have had nothing but pleasant interactions with all the staff and patients at Altru. I truly feel the environment created for medical students at Altru is a safe environment in which one can grow, learn, and be taught by preceptors who value the opportunity to teach. The two rotations I have experienced thus far, are surgery and internal medicine. In surgery, as a medical student, you are in close contact with surgical residents, who quickly became my mentors and taught me both in and out of the O.R. Additionally, I was expected to round on patients in the early morning, write H&Ps, be prepared for the O.R., and take call during the week and on weekends. Even though the days were long, the environment created by the attendings and residents made the days go by fast. I had a very similar experience in the first four weeks of my internal medicine rotation. My new life as a student out of the classroom and in the hospital has made the first two years of sacrifice in the classroom well worth the wait.

Molly Benolken, MS3