Grand Rounds

SMHS Student Affairs & Admissions News

MS1: Welcome to MD Class of 2024 from Dr. Porter

I would like to take this opportunity to welcome the 2024 Medical Student Class to our School of Medicine & Health Sciences. Although I cannot welcome you in person, I am very excited for all of you. I’m excited because my daughter Jill was also at this exact first step in her training when she started medical school here at UND over a decade ago. Well, maybe not so exact, as these are different and unchartered times since Jill went to school. Nevertheless, this is a new process for all of us and I believe this journey will provide you a unique and sustaining learning experience compared with previous medical students. As you go through this journey, the Office of Student Affairs & Admissions is here for you anytime, so don’t hesitate to reach out with your questions by emailing saa@und.edu, or stopping by our office. I will have open office hours every week on Tuesdays and Thursdays from noon till 1 p.m., so call, email or Zoom me during the current state of social restrictions on those days/times. When we are all back in the building, I look forward to you stopping by my office in person.

As a reminder, the Office of Student Affairs & Admissions is always here to help you. If you have questions, see below for contacts who can help you in the appropriate areas. If you do not see what you are looking for, ask and we will help you get the answers and/or support you need. Contact us at saa@UND.edu or 701.777.4221.

• Porter
    • Always available for any support or questions you may have at james.porter@und.edu.
    • Has open office hours from 12-1PM Tuesdays & Thursdays or call 701.777.4214 to make an appointment.
  • Jenny Duffy
    • Financial Aid and scholarships
  • Jane Thorvilson
    • Financial Aid and scholarships
  • Alyssa Montgomery
    • Admissions
  • Bethany Reck
    • Immunizations, criminal background checks, NBME verification forms, on-boarding for admitted students, room reservations.
  • Cindy Stromme
    • Schedule meetings with Dr. Porter, room reservations, excused absences requests (along with Dr. Porter), the Match, MSPEs, lottery lists, and student elections.
  • Summer Eggen
    • Records, enrollment, student groups, grades, verifications, excused absence paperwork, room reservations, and name changes.