MSI: Excused Absences, SMHS Office of Student Affairs
As you go through this journey, the Office of Student Affairs & Admissions is here for you anytime. So don’t hesitate to reach out with your questions via saa@UND.edu. See below for staff who can help. If you do not see what you’re looking for, ask and we will help you get the answers and/or support you need. Contact us at saa@UND.edu or 701.777.4221:
- Jim Porter, Associate Dean of Student Affairs & Admissions — Always available for any support or questions you may have at porter@UND.edu. Call 701.777.4214 to make an appointment.
- Jenny Duffy, Associate Director of Medical Student Financial Aid — Administer financial aid, student appointments, and provide leadership support for the Office of Student Affairs & Admissions.
- Jane Thorvilson, Financial Aid Assistant — First point of contact for medical student financial aid, making appointments to visit with the Associate Director of Medical Student Financial Aid, processing loan requests, checking for eligibility, processing external aid checks, completing tribal forms, troubleshooting, checking on refunds, and general questions.
- Alyssa Montgomery, Student Affairs/Admissions Officer — Prospective MD applicant advising, MD admissions, feedback for MD applicants, and contact for the Medical School Admissions Committee.
- Bethany Reck, Administrative Secretary — Immunizations, background checks, on-boarding for admitted students, room reservations, and general questions.
- Cindy Stromme, Administrative Assistant — Scheduling meetings with Dr. Porter, excused absences, the Match, MSPEs, lottery lists, and student elections.
- Emily Evers, Student Affairs Officer — Administrates SMHS career advising system, including resource development, ACHIEVE, student interest groups, and associated events.
- Robert Howard, Student Affairs Assistant — Excused absence requests, room reservations, and event planning.
For excused absences:
- If you are ever in a position that you will be unable to attend a mandatory curricular session, there is a form you must fill out prior to the absence being marked “excused.” Requests for any excused absences for mandatory sessions can be made by filling out the request form located on the SAA website here: https://med.und.edu/student-affairs-admissions/index.html → Forms → Student Affairs → Phase 1 (Pre-Clinical) Excused Absence Request.
- Ultimately, the form can be found at: https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=kaA37Ka55UeY0JA9SkGSA4lD2bqK3cdLu6C3F1PVRuVUMkk3UlhYUkZGSUtVVFRFRzRMSEVTOEdMQy4u
- The policy remains the same and can be found at https://med.und.edu/policies/_files/docs/4.17-excused-absences-tardiness-first-second-2021.pdf.